JCM-800/2204 Build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

john l

Re: JCM-800/2204 Build

Post by john l »

Thanks man! They're just wima mks' I bought ass loads of on eBay a while back. All my heros use them and I want to fit in. They're intended for pcbs and have rediculously short leads so I either piggy backed them on resistors where I could or got out the lead stretcher lol.
John
NoteBloom603

Friend of AmpGeek, Miss him, See the Amp he built me

Post by NoteBloom603 »

Hi, I'm Bill, a life-long friend of Dave-O, the AmpGeek. I am still feeling the hurt of losing my great friend.

Here are some photos.

#1: Phenomenon Amp happily sitting on my Carvin 4x12 cab with my Dave-O poster in the jam room.

#2: The finished product - Phenomenon Amp that the almighty Dave-O built for me. I love it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NoteBloom603 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
drew

Post by drew »

^ it won't let me see the photos unless I sign up for an account.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Great amp built by a very talented guy.
This thread was the start of a wild ride for a lot of us.
i wonder how many killer Marshall variants there are out there as a direct result of this thread.
Welcome again Bill.
Why Aye Man
NoteBloom603

my first question.....

Post by NoteBloom603 »

OK, I figured out how to embed the photos.

I have a question about this build, that I never got to go over with Dave. He had delivered the amp and briefly went over it a bit and wanted me to play around then there was going to be follow up to get into the gory details, but then Dave got sick.

What is the SQUISH pot for and any suggestions on how to use it?

Heck, I appreciate advice on all of the controls.

fyi: I am used to a Fender Twin Reverb so many of the controls on this are foreign to me - at least in name.

thanks
drew

Post by drew »

From the 5th post in the thread:

The clipping circuit off the CF master gets you insane dirty at ipod volume if you want. You can play a 100w amp at television volume from about 4" out and get the amp crying into feedback. I think the clipper sounds best when it is lifted from ground by 10k. Put that on a 25kl and it becomes squash control. A dirty compressor.
Squash became squish somewhere between Savannah and Canada. (Maybe squash needs an export license or agricultural inspection?) You can also see it in Dave's layout drawing, which is mid-thread.[/quote]
Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

good thread .