2203... Effects Loop

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JazzGuitarGimp

Re: 2203... Effects Loop

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Thanks, Matt. I'd be happy to help - and if a few dollars come my way, that's fine too. I, too, am in a bad way financially. But my offer was motivated by how fortunate I feel having landed here at TAG. The level of camaraderie and sharing by so many talented, spirited and sincere folks here compels me to "give back". And who knows, maybe this will lead to other community TAG projects. I think it would be very cool if TAG had a "store" if you will, where members could buy "amp modules". If you move forward with this, and would like my help, just send me a pm when you're ready.

And I also meant to say: Tony, based on what you said, I now realize that you were most likely intending to do the layout. I just want you to know that it was not my intention to "step on anyone's toes". Regardless of who does the layout, this will be a great addition to the TAG community.

Peace,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Are you guys familiar with the solid state loop the Kleinulator that the Dumblish guys use:

schematic and layout here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ator+sound

And I asked about a mosfet design some time back and there is a schematic and layout for it here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15

Maybe some of those would be useful in your design?

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

And there is an Ironsounds effects loop that is solid state and my impression is that it has similarities to the Metro Loop in how it is installed.

Only $50

http://www.ironsounds.com/

It seems to be well documented and have good installation instructions:

http://www.ironsounds.com/manuals.html

And there is a schematic for it here:

http://www.ironsounds.com/FX-loop-manual-1.2.pdf

Found a YouTube with an amp that has the Iron Sounds loop installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5vOn7ecWQ

With respect, 10thtx
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

10th Tx... Great to see all of the designs possible, thanks for posting more of them.

Lou... My toes are fine. You go ahead and do the layout, I promise I'm fine with that. Like I stated earlier, I will help with some assembly and testing. If it comes to the point where loaded/tested boards or board/parts kits are wanted then I have the people to do that sort of thing. I did send Matt a bunch of info to digest for now. Maybe he will come up for air soon.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
xtian

Post by xtian »

I LOVE the idea of TAG-branded PCB modules/projects/amps. I'm not in a position to help with the design of the circuits, but GRAPHICS design, yes, and cash money, too. I would be happy to contribute.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Deleted... damn computer.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Decko

I am in

Post by Decko »

Hi,

Lou designed up some boards for me a while back and they are awesome.

I'd like to join on this effort. I can help with $.

I have been looking to implement an EFX loop on some builds.

Cheers,
Decko
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

matt h wrote:Lou- yeah man. We'll be taking you up on layout. And I definitely know you weren't asking for a dime, hence an honorarium. hehe They're generally pennies on the dollar on what something is worth and something tells me, given your professional experience in this and what I imagine the scope of your projects are and what your hourly billing is, that's probably what we'd be talking about. However, you've hit exactly the nail I thought this should be an original TAGloop-- the point is a) TAG is awesome b) collaboration with awesome people is awesome.
Cool beans! You know where to find me when you are ready....
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
fusionbear

Post by fusionbear »

Anyone use the loop that Merlin illustrates in his book on designing amps for bass and guitar?

He uses a 12AT7. It looks really simple.

Those of you who have used it, is it really transparent?

Let me know....
Learning to learn...
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Hi Matt, Tony,

1) For me, as long as the goal of sonic transparency is achieved, the loop is desirable, regardless of how "radical" the the design is.

2. I think as long as the B+ required is easily obtained from the existing power supply string, any voltage is fine (sonic transparency notwithstanding). But you've got my curiosity up - what voltage are you considering?

3. Hard to answer this without knowing what the option is. Care to share?

As far as real estate goes, we have lots of flexibility in the layout. For instance, we could do a single board with snap-away wings. The wings could support either Cliff or Rean (my preference) jacks, with the loop circuitry in the middle. If you want to use board mounted jacks, use it as is. If you want to use off-board jacks, cut a few traces and snap the wings off - there will be pads to solder your off-board jacks in the middle section, as well as mounting holes to mount the board on the chassis.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

A few thoughts:

1) Loops are sooo simple that IMO there is not a justifiable reason to stray too far from the proven designs of the driver/buffer and recovery stage. Virtually any tech can quickly trouble shoot the proven designs...

2) Filtered B+ is available almost anywhere in the amp and localized decoupling is easily achieved. The higher voltage B+ allows headroom and high line drive options if needed. I don't see benefit of developing another rail.

3) Remote placement of the jacks / pots is easily achieved by adding extra pads to the board allowing remote wiring of the jacks / pots. Add a few standoff holes in the board for mounting where ever (could even be used remotely in its' own enclosure and using a separate power supply).

Minding signal levels, a simple remote foot switch and relay could simply add a FX bypass if one chooses... (although a relay rail would then be needed...)

Just a few quick thoughts...