JTM45 Power Transformer

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Re: JTM45 Power Transformer

Post by Littlewyan »

I've never heard of a bucking transformer?

Turns out I can't use the IG Transformatoren PT as its too big for the chassis I'm getting.

Well I'm stuck with 6.6K as thats the OT I've got. I know George at Metro uses a 6.6K OT and Marshall do in their reissue and both amps use 400VDC on the plates. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go for the Classic Tone PT which has the option of both 345VAC and 312VAC.

Edit: I've decided I want 400VDC on the plates and a 3H choke. The originals sounded great because 8K was a higher than norm impedance for 450VDC which gave greater 2nd harmonics. 6.6K would be spot on and wont sound as good, but with 400VDC I think it'll sound good.
tony hunt

Post by tony hunt »

For general information, I am pretty sure that IG Ingo Gorges stopped making transformers as of the end of 2013. He wanted to concentrate on other interests.

I bought some of the last of the 45 PTs in December 2013. The site looks to be dormant and the "Expected in 4 up to 6 weeks again" could be misleading. Best to check with him first, if anyone is thinking of going that route. That sure was some nice iron that he was turning out.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

That would explain why he didnt respond to my email. Well looks like i'll have to go for either the Hammond Iron or the Classic Tone iron. I'm wary of the Marshall stock PT as I dont know the current ratings and I believe it was designed for 5881s and not KT66s.