multi-tap primary on output transformer

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shawnee

multi-tap primary on output transformer

Post by Shawnee »

Hey guys, I am going to start a hot rod plexi build soon and would like to be able to run EL34's or 6V6's. Is there a Marshall style 50w output transformer that has primary taps for 3.6K and 6.6K? Since I am aiming high, of course I would like 4-8-16 ohm secondary taps as well. I see single ended outputs with 2 primaries but never see the bigger push pull transformers like this. Any ideas?
pdf64

Re: multi-tap primary on output transformer

Post by pdf64 »

How about using a regular Drake 784-139 style ~3k4 OT and adjusting the secondary load to get the desired primary impedance?
eg 8 ohm load on 8 ohm tap for EL34 (~3k4 reflected primary), 8 ohm load on 4 ohm tap for 6V6 (~6k8 reflected primary).
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

^^^ A good option.
The Express can use el34 or 6v6 with the same (6k6) OT taps.
For me EL34's sound great with beefy, higher than optimum impedance OT's.
External bias test & adjust makes it easy to switch.
Good Luck.
Why Aye Man
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The more secondary taps it has the more bucks it's going yank out of your pocket, also I have never liked the sound of a OT with 3 secondary tap points!
The 4 ohm tap sounds like crap with the amp cranked out, and as expected the full winding used by the 16 ohm tap sounds great!
On the other side of the coin a OT made with just a 4 ohm tap sounds fine!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rp

Post by rp »

Stevem wrote:The more secondary taps it has the more bucks it's going yank out of your pocket, also I have never liked the sound of a OT with 3 secondary tap points!
The 4 ohm tap sounds like crap with the amp cranked out, and as expected the full winding used by the 16 ohm tap sounds great!
On the other side of the coin a OT made with just a 4 ohm tap sounds fine!
I always wondered about this. Now you go and confirm it - and it's TAG so I trust you guys :) Bah, an other thing to deal with in the search for maximum tone. Wonder if Leo leaving off multi taps on his combo tranies was more than just cost savings or to keep boobs from screwing up the combos' internal speaker connection? Marshall didn't seem to care. I wish I had nice 16 ohm 4x12 to mess with.
Shawnee

Post by Shawnee »

pdf64- Dang I feel stupid now........... I should have known that. Very interesting stuff on the multi-tap outputs. Thank you all!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The only stupid question is one not asked for fear of looking stupid.
No one knows everything about everything, and few have even got quick recall of everything they do know :)