Marshall Based Hi Gain Prototype

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gldtp99

Marshall Based Hi Gain Prototype

Post by gldtp99 »

I built this 100 watt, EL34 x 4 hi gain head and my friend stopped by my shop to try out different amps---- he liked this one the best so I hooked up the vid recorder and caught him playing---- no delay, no post processing, running through the 70's Orange 4x12 can with two orig Square Magnet Eminence speakers and two Eminence GB12's.
This prototype head is already sold to another local player but I have to labels the controls, etc, etc (finish it up) before he can pick it up.

Here's the vid of my friend Bobby Michaels (DFW area band Blackout) putting my newest creation through it's paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK10iEqJZZI
M Fowler

Re: Marshall Based Hi Gain Prototype

Post by M Fowler »

I like it sounds very similar to the AFD #39 I build, what is this one based off of?

Mark
V2

Post by V2 »

sounds great!
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

This one is five gain stages plus a CF driven tonestack------ I'm not sure if it is a direct copy of another amp or not.
This one was built almost a year ago but no vids were done until the other day, I also built a similar 5 gain stage 50 with KT88 x 2------ I'm building a "Big 50" on my bench now----- a 4 gain stage 2204 based head with oversized iron and KT88 x 2------- PT is an Edcor and the OT is one pulled from a '70's PA head that ran EL34 x 2 rated for 70 watts---OT was made by Electrical Windings by the EIA code.

Here's a somewhat calmer vid of the War Elephant 100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNx4Kewt8DM
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Nice!
V30's in the orange cab ?
Love to hear your Kt88 if you get the chance.

D
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

dcribbs1412 wrote:Nice!
V30's in the orange cab ?
Love to hear your Kt88 if you get the chance.

D

That's a 70's Orange cab with two orig Square Magnet Eminence's and two much newer Emi GB12's------ the speakers are nothing special but that cab is the best sounding Orange 4x12 out of three in my shop right now.
I'll do vids of the amp under construction when it's finished/tweaked out.
Two days ago a customer brought me two modded Marshalls for service---- one I re-built last year along Splawn lines (just bad tubes) and another with some mods i'd never seen before.
I fixed the one I re-built while he was there (old vid from when I rebuilt it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zog4b7jkq74

The other one is a 1978 JMP 2203 that has the cathodes of V1 modded (V1a is 1.2K bypassed by a .47 cap and V1b is a single 1.2k)---- also the orig pre-PI MV pot was changed to a "Gain" pot feeding V2a and another 500k pot was added as a pre-PI MV.
This one had a bad preamp tube and was running on two 6550's---- the customer wanted a new set of four KT88's and the amp looked over/checked--- I did the tubes and fixed one bad shielded wire connection and it turns out to be a raw, gnarley sounding mod (not something I would do, too raw) but I think it will work in the context of his band with two guitar players, blended with the "Vlad" amp I did in the vid above---- if the owner doesn't like it I can mod it to my specs at a later date............... gldtp99