JTM45 Clapton knobs

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: JTM45 Clapton knobs

Post by M Fowler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

What diameter knob is correct?
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

The eBay knobs are very close, rare and expensive...but not the real thing.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

coldengray wrote:The eBay knobs are very close, rare and expensive...but not the real thing.
Didn't you say back on page two they were the real thing? If you want them for your self then geez just buy them already :P !
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Probably the .900 EHC knobs would work okay. :) EH71-2C2S

Mark
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

RockinRocket wrote:
coldengray wrote:The eBay knobs are very close, rare and expensive...but not the real thing.
Didn't you say back on page two they were the real thing? If you want them for your self then geez just buy them already :P !
I thought they were but since have seen them in person. That guy has plenty, no rush to buy them!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Not to piss on the party... do they make it sound better?

Unless you are trying to sell a clone as an original... ?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I just want what I can't find.....and they look cool.
---------
Bryan
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

coldengray wrote:
RockinRocket wrote:
I thought they were but since have seen them in person. That guy has plenty, no rush to buy them!
400 bucks for close :roll: but not the real deal. People these days.
Id hate to see the price of legit ones!
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

RockinRocket wrote:
coldengray wrote:
RockinRocket wrote: Didn't you say back on page two they were the real thing? If you want them for your self then geez just buy them already :P !
400 bucks for close :roll: but not the real deal. People these days.
Id hate to see the price of legit ones!
So if these are not correct what is the difference? I thought that the number printed inside the knob is correct?
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

Yes, the number is correct...but different font from some other ones I have. And the ones on eBay all say "Pekalit 17860" (or whatever the number is) on the back and then "4" in another quadrant. The ones I got from a guy in Europe who collects a ton of gear say the same thing in different font and have different numbers instead of just "4"....they have "1" and "3" and others.

I'm not 100% certain the eBay knobs are reproductions, but I have seen all white knobs that look exactly the same labeled "Test 1" and "Test 2" and also have seen test grey disc inserts...and they are exact matches for the eBay knobs.

A friend in the UK sent me some extra silver discs from his set (they had 2 discs per knob), and those discs match the 2 I got from the European collector. They do not match the eBay knobs.

Draw your own conclusions, I will post some pictures if I get some time.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I got some of the EH71-2C2S knobs. I don't like them. They are too tall and tapered from top to bottom a little bit. Don't bother.

But still on the search for something that is cheap that I like. I mean, wouldn't my '64 clone that I built just look better? And it probably WOULD sound better to me if it looks right. Us amp building addicts don't know why we want things perfect the way we do even though it is not the real thing, but we just do.....but I also won't pay some knob guy in France $400 to get there.

[img:3250:1230]http://www.sonicmojo.com/64jtm45/64jtm45.jpg[/img]
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

The knob guy in France will do an off-eBay deal for $320. That is what my friend did.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I need to dig up one of my gold JTM45 faceplates, I'm showing her my white plate JCM800 and the numbering is too compressed, for the use of the small regular knobs.

I bought the EHC: part number EH71-2C2S .900 diameter knobs and they will work just fine for me on the correct faceplate of course. :)

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.