reducing the signal to the PI on a 2204

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Curranproducer

Re: reducing the signal to the PI on a 2204

Post by Curranproducer »

HAHA Cute mr Xitan! very cute!!!! YES the Solo boost is ALA splawn. it is foot switchable to ground. when nothing is plugged in it is active and i turn it off while in the studio. live I use a little foot switch with it for solos
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
Devout Distortion Worshipper and fan of warm hugs
234-788-6141
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

You'd be better off having the two in parallel like in the image I've attached but having a DPDT switch to go between the two. So you can set one higher than the other and flick over to it when you want more volume.

As for the 250K resistor, try connecting it between the MV Pot wiper and the 22n capacitor and then the other end to ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

so kinda like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
234-788-6141
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

More like this. But also have the switch on the two wipers as well. You'd probably need some 2.2Meg resistors across the switches to stop any pops from occuring.

How are you switching it at the moment? Footswitch?
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

and the 250k where it is at?
Curran

234-788-6141
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

May i suggest that you search this site for bootstrapped or improved bootstrapped masters. I think that they will do what you want.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

no the boot strap is not what I am trying to get the map to do. I will use an example. On my 5150 and mesa dual rectifiers I am able to get more of the MV turned up before i actually get to rehearsal or live volume levels. on my awesome little 50 watt home brew marshall JCM800 crazy high gain amp I can hardly get it over 9"O'Clock before I am bleeding out of my EYES! hahahahaha. I want to try and get the same volume level but with the volume control turned up higher. So trying to get the signal that hits the PI to be quieter or lower OR something along those lines to force me to turn the MV up farther to get my volume at gig levels. I feel like this will allow me a little more control of the amps over all volume
Curran

234-788-6141
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Yep, thats what the Imp Master does, limits the signal to the PI... you can use much lower value pot too.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

250K stays connected to the 22n coupling cap.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

So, I had a few things to sort out on the tweak list here for this overly modded marshall here, and I finally got to popping the 470K between the treble and MV. this helped quite alot. what if I went to a 1M. does this effect the tone in a horrifically awful fasion? Thanks for the tweak suggestion Martin!
Curran

234-788-6141
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

You could do that. The side effect will be extending the low end a bit.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

so since i have great marshal thread going here I would like to ask you all how to get the spikey spikey ice pick high end out of the amp. from the schematic I posted on the 1st page you can see the very extensive mods i have done to the amps gain structure. should i wire in a cut control like a vox? or would it be better since i am out of know real-estate to hard wire a cap into the PI to round off that ice pick?
Curran

234-788-6141
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Try lifting one end of the 500pF just before V2a.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

I have a switch on that to drop in another 500pF in parallel which should give me 1000pF when engaged, I also have a switch on the front end of the treble peaker 500pf/470k that switches to 1000pf/470k.
Curran

234-788-6141
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

ok I pulled that 500pf before the V2 and popped it on a switch. nice change.
Curran

234-788-6141