[Question] Marshall Major 200 Watts

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: E

Post by Bombacaototal »

Stevem wrote:Don't add a pan type reverb as you will never get the pan far enough away from that 20 plus pound PT to not pick up 60 HZ hum, install a SS one if you must have Verb!
I am going for a 100watt version with 4x6l6 because I prefer the sound of those tubes, so the Pt will be smaller than the original major

I am in doubt between a vibro king / Dual Professional type reverb which is in the beginning of the circuit or something like a 3 tube reverb from a SSS between the pre amp and phase inverter
Bombacaototal

Re: [Question] Marshall Major 200 Watts

Post by Bombacaototal »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why there are 2 schematics of the marshall major 200w which are slightly different. One is the 1967, and the other?

I am trying to find out which one was used by SRV

This is the 1971 stock number 1967 Marshall Major Lead https://youtu.be/940-vxMUOlc

The first pic has the SRV (top) compared to a 1968 (bottom) https://reverb.com/au/item/272641-marsh ... t-and-back

It looks to me that maybe SRV had 3 switches on the faceplate and one has been removed and closed (furthest left which is usually the polarity)?

Is it fair to assume that the SRV was the 200W schematic and not the 1967?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I'm no expert on Majors but the two schematics basically look like Lead and Bass versions of that model to me.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

strelok wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:03 am Here you go:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/1967u.gif
Seems odd that they'd return the feedback to the cathode of the second stage, since that encloses the passive tone stack within the loop.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

@RockinRocket: I think you are right. The 200W schematic has the same tonestack as a Super Bass while the 1967 has the same as a Super Lead. SRV was probably the 1967 lead?

@Mr.DB: I was wondering the same thing but given I am no expert on Ultralinear Phase Inverter I was not sure
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:39 pm
Roe wrote:6550s are a bad choice. take a look at the screens voltage (620 vs. 440)
True enough! And yet...
DocRocz wrote:I had a great amp tech that suggested we remove the KT88's and replace them with 6550's. ... I played it for 15 years with no issues, other than the standard maintenance.
I found this reference on an older post http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... x&start=30

http://www.vintageguitar.com/2827/jim-marshall-3/
There is also a rumor the SRV ran 6550's in his major but this is unconfirmed..As long as the amp is running UL you could probably run either
As pert Martin's comments probably not true
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

The 2 versions of the Major are lead and bass, as mentioned above. I built a 100W lead version (for Blackmore tone), and based on the tone I'm getting my guess is SRV used the lead version. It's not a bright amp like my superlead.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:02 pm The 2 versions of the Major are lead and bass, as mentioned above. I built a 100W lead version (for Blackmore tone), and based on the tone I'm getting my guess is SRV used the lead version. It's not a bright amp like my superlead.
Thanks for the feedback. I heard that the blackmore had lots of mods which are documented (like the PPIMV).

Given this was a very overlooked SRV amp I am wondering if anyone knows of any mods that may have been done to his amp (like removing the polarity switch for example)
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I'm pretty sure that all of the mods came after DP Mark II, with Rainbow when Dawk became RB's tech, but don't quote me on that. I was going for Machine Head tone and it's great for that, along with a homemade HS-1 boost pedal. My guess is tone-wise SRV's Major would have been pretty much stock lead.

When I was trying to figure out where the buzz was in my Bassman-SSS mod, I plugged in my Major clone to see if it had the same noise and I was surprised to notice that I was still playing SRV riffs and the amp sounded like a great fit for those tones. I'm running mine into a Marshall 4x12 with G12H-30's in it. SRV was using EV12M's? So that would probably account for the last few % of SRV tone with the Major that I wasn't getting.

Even at 100W with 2 KT88's, the Major clone is very clean, due to the UL taps no doubt. I got Chris Merren to wind me a custom OT. He's the Marshall transformer king and I asked him to make me an exact replica of the Drake OT, but for 2 KT88's instead of 4. An added bonus was that he told me he knew why the originals failed (described by Dawk as the Smoke on the Water effect) and guaranteed me that mine would not.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the comment Krinkle. I know SRV Fender amps were heavily modded which makes me assume Cesar Diaz may have hacked into the Marshall as well. There Is also an interview with rene martinez (srv guitar tech) where he says that the Major sometimes did not last the entire set, so I assume lots of maintenance work going on there

I am torned between a SSS type built and the Major as my next. Hard to decide as I find both amazing and fascinating amps.

Very nice tip on Chris Merren! I will keep this name for when I start sourcing the parts
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

You're welcome. I have my 100W Major and my SSS modified Bassman, and for SRV it is no contest, SSS all the way. And my SSS is only 50W! I'm blown away by the SSS, SRV tones without even trying, just plug in and you're there.

SSS is also great for pedals, better than the Major, and even better than my DR103 clone, which was my benchmark up to now.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 pm You're welcome. I have my 100W Major and my SSS modified Bassman, and for SRV it is no contest, SSS all the way. And my SSS is only 50W! I'm blown away by the SSS, SRV tones without even trying, just plug in and you're there.

SSS is also great for pedals, better than the Major, and even better than my DR103 clone, which was my benchmark up to now.
Thanks for the note. I think I eventually will end up with both

I always thought that a Plexi size head is an overkill fot this circuit. Has anyone tried a smaller head?

I am thinking chassis: 6,3cm height x 46,3cm width x 16,5cm depth and head shell: 20,5cm height x 51cm width x 21cm depth. Or would I need the height to be 27.5 cm like an original Plexi

Would it give me enough room for a 90 watt 2xkt88 version specially relating to the height (ot+pt)

Also I am looking for a lighter wood than baltic birch. Has anyone experimented with poplar or pine?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Here is my build, you could probably go a little smaller;

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/Darrin ... t=3&page=1
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:50 pm Here is my build, you could probably go a little smaller;

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/Darrin ... t=3&page=1
That looks stunning! What measurements did you use?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Thanks, I just used a standard Marshall chassis. The board is a layout I did, with the Major circuit with the modifications to change to 100W, Superlead bias circuit, remove 2 power tubes, etc. If you decide to build one just give me a shout and I can help you out if you need it.