New JTM45 build blowing fuses.......

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stelligan

Re: New JTM45 build blowing fuses.......

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:42 pm What’s the VDC at rectifier pin8?
70VDC
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The rectifier would seem to be bad?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:13 am The rectifier would seem to be bad?
My thoughts as well. I just took delivery on a solid state alternative and 2 tube rectifiers. New Sovtek 5AR4 is in there now. Will try the solid state thing again and check volts. Maybe put a new socket in? I'm baffled...

Yes - just tried the solid state rectifier with same result - slightly higher shitty voltages
SSR-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Are you sure that the HT fuse is good?
I assume it’s on the HT winding’s CT return to 0V.
ie the VDC between CT and chassis should be minimal, <1V.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:46 am Are you sure that the HT fuse is good?
Ah Hah! reads open. Will go digging in the fuse drawer now...
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

stelligan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:56 am
pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:46 am Are you sure that the HT fuse is good?
Ah Hah! reads open. Will go digging in the fuse drawer now...
Ok. I'm fixed!! thanks to pdf64!! Where do I send the beer money? I need to save a little for new glasses and a pair of more closely matched KT66. These are way far apart...
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Haha, with regard to fuses, ‘looks good’ does not always mean ‘good’ :D
Put the beer money towards the KT66 - you’ll need it, they aren’t cheap!
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 am Put the beer money towards the KT66 - you’ll need it, they aren’t cheap!
You are not kidding. I have probably been cheaping out with these Chinese Sino/Valve Arts things. This pair read at 32 & 67mv when this thing woke up. May have to pony up for Genalec again or something NOS.

Thanks again for the help!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Dunno why, but even back in the early 80s when I began to notice such things, KTs always were expensive, maybe twice the price of their equivalents.
NOS - you’re kidding, surely? They’re crazy money these days!
I seem to remember @Roe recommending the Gold Lion KT66. Which I think are Russian made?

My perception / recollection is that KT66 have a creamier, smoother overdriven character than EL34 or 6L6. While my preferred pair of 90s GT KT66 are still good, I need to verify that I really can hear the difference between them and other 6L6 types. And that the difference isn’t just due to the LTP not being able to overdrive them as hard, due to their requirement for a greater magnitude of bias voltage, and hence more signal voltage required to overdrive them.
My ambition is to outlive those GTs, and if I can’t hear a difference, then I’ve got plenty of nice 6L6 types that I could replace them with :D
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:37 pm NOS - you’re kidding, surely? They’re crazy money these days!
I seem to remember @Roe recommending the Gold Lion KT66. Which I think are Russian made?
Yes - I am kidding. Have been shopping online and NOS is a no go. I have 5881 in here now and it sounds fine. I have Gold Lions in a RedPlate BluesMachine 66 Tremolo. And they have never had a hiccup. Around $85 US for a matched pair. KT66 do seem to have a nicer high frequency breakup sound but I have that covered in the other amp. May just settle in with 5881s. I have a ton of them and can abuse them. I usually run this amp into a reactive load with channels jumpered and volumes 3/4 up. May be part of my problem.. :wink:

My goal with building and owning amps has been to cover as many different tones as possible. This amp may just stay as is. For the sound I am after with it - this butters my biscuit just fine.

Thanks again. I can live with a $1 repair.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I have Chinese KT66's in my JTM45 and they're great..Shuangen or something like that, can't remember exactly. Really ,really nice. I've AB them against EL34's ,6L6's and the Chinese KT66's are just cracking tubes :)

they weren't that expensive either , about £40 IIRC some years ago.

M
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 pm I have Chinese KT66's in my JTM45 and they're great..Shuangen or something like that, can't remember exactly.

M
Yes Marcus, that is what was currently in there. "Sino", "Valve Art", all Chinese from the Shuguang plant. Sound very good. Just been having some bad luck with them. I play this amp loud, though I guess.

Just ordered Slo Blo fuses for the HT - I have a fast in there now.....
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Provided you use a GZ34 but not standby, fast blow are fine for the HT fuse.
If an F500mA is blowing, there’s an actual issue.
Time to dust off your light bulb limiter.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm Provided you use a GZ34 but not standby, fast blow are fine for the HT fuse.
I am thinking the 4 year old rectifier I had in before was bad & took it out. I will take to the tube tester later this week.

Like I said - I always thought something in the power section was amiss. Hope it's just substandard rectifier tubes.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm Provided you use a GZ34 but not standby, fast blow are fine for the HT fuse.
yes, I keep my standby permanently on and just use the main power switch. I remember reading about the poor design of the standby on these amps years ago so have always done that. I can't remember the actual technical reason though. Perhaps @pdf64 can fill me/us in on the reason :)

M