Master volume mod

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

john l

Re: Master volume mod

Post by john l »

Hey guys,
I too have opted to put the 220ks on a switch in any daily driver AB165. I switch them in and out all the time while the amp is on and haven't had fireworks yet. As a matter of fact its completely silent with no pops or anything, just a very slight volume reduction (Im using the Carling P-H529 switch). I like this much better then the pentode triode style half power switch and am considering installing it on my '72 Metal Panel 1987. Are there any issues that Im not seeing doing this in an amp with 12ax7 phase inverter.

Aslo Id love to get into why I haven't blown anything up by switching it in and out during operation.
John
d95err

Re: Master volume mod

Post by d95err »

Baddog01 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:09 pm Do the mod I posted and now when your amp is all the way up it's it's actually turned up to 6 ( half way).
The master volume taper is logarithmic, so when the master volume pot is turned up halfway, the resistance divider is something like 900k/100k. Use a 900k series resistor and 100k pot if you want the max volume to be like when you turn the (non-modded) master volume upp halfways.