(Almost) Unmolested '72 1959 Super Lead 100

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blindog

(Almost) Unmolested '72 1959 Super Lead 100

Post by Blindog »

Hey guys, been away for a while. After a couple shitty years I'm getting the call to start some building again ;)

I picked this amp up recently and it's virtually stock except the negative feedback resistor and a replaced tube socket.

I'm going to recap the amp and replace the crappy socket, and add a PPIMV, probably in the spot where the polarity switch resides. Any issues with that location? I'll be using shielded wire of course.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: (Almost) Unmolested '72 1959 Super Lead 100

Post by xtian »

Wow, that's really great. How tall is that head box?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

xtian wrote:Wow, that's really great. How tall is that head box?
Thanks!

10 5/8" tall, 29" wide
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

That's a nice looking amp so clean inside , I agree with the master volume makes them more useable. I think I would play the amp with original caps for a while and see how it sounds, I only change what's needed for me the more original amps are the better.
strelok

Post by strelok »

lovetone wrote:That's a nice looking amp so clean inside , I agree with the master volume makes them more useable. I think I would play the amp with original caps for a while and see how it sounds, I only change what's needed for me the more original amps are the better.
It's really not a good idea to leave the original filter caps in there. They're a good 45 years old if their original. You can bring it up on a variac and see if it draws excessive current or test them with an ESR meter. However even if their still good they *will* fail at some point and when they do, that could cost you your PT. Better safe than sorry IMO. Having to replace a PT and filter caps will harm the value of the amp a lot more than just replacing the caps, not mention being much more expensive.