Friedman Dirty Shirley thoughts.

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Friedman Dirty Shirley thoughts.

Post by Reeltarded »

Mikey, buy a worn out JTM-45 reissue and you can be up and running in less than a day. Seriously inexpensive way.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Yea your right Miles,I'm sure I could get my metro plexi to sound just as good with some advice from you guys here.it actually sounds real good with the master vol .Even the cleans sound good. Better yet buy some good tubes ,bias it,call it a day :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
kdmay

Post by kdmay »

[quote=Reeltarded post_id=391133 time=1541178091 user_id=6156]
Mikey, buy a worn out JTM-45 reissue and you can be up and running in less than a day. Seriously inexpensive way.
[/quote]

Actually a Plexi / 1987x reissue would be better. The original Shirley has a 3k4 OT primary. A JTM45 OT won't sound right.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I owe Mike some parts. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

Anyone have a Dirty Shirley Mini schematic or layout? I would like to build one, lots of good info and pictures in this thread. Thanks!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is one posted some time in the past.
Dirty Shirly layout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I actually went digging once and found a few more pages of that same hand drawn style by the same guy, this ones the BE100, just for more context on the common mods:
FreidmanBE100-1.JPG
FriedmanBE100-2.JPG
FriedmanBE100-3.JPG
~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

I hope this will be helpful
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

alkuz1961 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm I hope this will be helpful
This schematic seems to be missing the first node filter cap?
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

sluckey wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:43 pm This schematic seems to be missing the first node filter cap?
Oh, sorry. So it will be correct
coldengray

Post by coldengray »

Many thanks!
Guitarjb

Post by Guitarjb »

Hello all.

I bought a DS-40 head last week. Great amp.

One thing I am curious about:
My amp was built in November 2017 (hand-written date on chassis). While it is obviously extremely well-designed, well-built, and mostly hand-wired, it does include a printed circuit board. I don’t have any problem with the fact that the amp is constructed with a PCB, and I love the amp- no complaints at all. I just question whether or not it is accurate to still be claiming these are “hand-wired” amps(??). I know the Dirty Shirley started as entirely hand-wired (like the first ten years of Marshall amps were hand-wired). But when Marshall started with PCB construction in mid-1973, it has always been my understanding that they were no longer considered to be “hand-wired” (even though they were still very well-built, still sounded great, and there was still quite a bit of hand wiring and hand assembly required). Isn’t Friedman now using PCB the exact same thing?

Joe
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There are semantics and shades of gray here. I would say an amp with a machine stuffed pcb, with jacks, pots, and tube sockets mounted thereto, is definitely not a hand wired amp. Think Fender HRD. A pcb with chassis mounted jacks, pots, and tube sockets has a significant amount of hand wiring even if the pcb is machine stuffed, and odds are it will be much more durable since the pcb won’t be subjected to mechanical stress in use. Modern two-sided pcb's will be more durable than the single sided boards seen in those 70’s Marshall’s, approaching the strength of a turret or eyelet board, I think. If it’s hand stuffed and has flying leads, it’s hardly any different labor-wise.
Guitarjb

Post by Guitarjb »

martin manning wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 pm There are semantics and shades of gray here. I would say an amp with a machine stuffed pcb, with jacks, pots, and tube sockets mounted thereto, is definitely not a hand wired amp. Think Fender HRD. A pcb with chassis mounted jacks, pots, and tube sockets has a significant amount of hand wiring even if the pcb is machine stuffed, and odds are it will be much more durable since the pcb won’t be subjected to mechanical stress in use. Modern two-sided pcb's will be more durable than the single sided boards seen in those 70’s Marshall’s, approaching the strength of a turret or eyelet board, I think. If it’s hand stuffed and has flying leads, it’s hardly any different labor-wise.

Thank you for your thoughts. I don’t know if the PCB is is hand-stuffed, but my guess is “yes”. Below is a link to a photo I snapped, which I should have included in my initial post; if I figure out how to make the photo appear in the post, instead of just a link, I’ll re-post this.

https://flic.kr/p/RJaAgR
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That’s basically an eyelet board type of construction, and I’d say calling it “hand wired” is not exaggerating.