Yup, Another One... Kraken 50 Build: Round II

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FourT6and2

Yup, Another One... Kraken 50 Build: Round II

Post by FourT6and2 »

Now with more snarl and 400% more aggression!

xtian

Re: Yup, Another One... Kraken 50 Build: Round II

Post by xtian »

I wish you would quit using those cheap, lousy components. Have some pride, man.

You're really bucking for the King of OCD title. All hail!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

xtian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:33 am I wish you would quit using those cheap, lousy components. Have some pride, man.

You're really bucking for the King of OCD title. All hail!
lol yeah I'm super OCD. It's really all very relaxing though. Kinda like a little electric zen rock garden.
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

I really love having a power transformer with solder tags. Makes wiring it up much cleaner. Wish more companies would do it this way.

xtian

Post by xtian »

What's with the two fuses?
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

xtian wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:40 am What's with the two fuses?
They protect the circuit in case of a short or something? I don't understand the question. I've never seen an amp without them. One is the mains fuse and one is the HT fuse.
xtian

Post by xtian »

FourT6and2 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 amOne is the mains fuse and one is the HT fuse.
That's the answer I was looking for. Cheeky monkey.
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

xtian wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:24 am
FourT6and2 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 amOne is the mains fuse and one is the HT fuse.
That's the answer I was looking for. Cheeky monkey.
:lol:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

FourT6and2 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 am
I've never seen an amp without them.
Yeah and I've only seen may 15-20% as a rough guess that actually fuse both, most only fuse mains. But then I mostly look at old amps, not newer stuff.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've got to say man your builds are just beautiful.....indeed the Zen garden thing is exactly what springs to mind :D

I'm happy when my amps just work and sound good, however I do intend one day to build something that looks good inside too....

Marcus
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:23 pm
Yeah and I've only seen may 15-20% as a rough guess that actually fuse both, most only fuse mains. But then I mostly look at old amps, not newer stuff.

~Phil
I think a lot of old amps have both. You have to hunt for them. Some have the fuse tucked away inside the chassis somewhere. I don't think I've seen a Marshall with just a Mains fuse and no other fuse. The JTM45 has another fuse tucked away inside the chassis. I think the fuse is on the PT center tap or something? I could be mistaken. Old amps also tend to put the mains AFTER the fuse, which is stupid. If the amp shorts and the fuse pops, there is still live voltage on the chassis. Stupid. Modern amps have corrected this. Most modern amps have a mains fuse and a HT fuse and if the fuses blow, there's no live voltage inside the chassis anywhere (hopefully).
V2

Post by V2 »

FourT6and2 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

~Phil
I think a lot of old amps have both. You have to hunt for them. Some have the fuse tucked away inside the chassis somewhere. I don't think I've seen a Marshall with just a Mains fuse and no other fuse. The JTM45 has another fuse tucked away inside the chassis. I think the fuse is on the PT center tap or something? I could be mistaken. Old amps also tend to put the mains AFTER the fuse, which is stupid. If the amp shorts and the fuse pops, there is still live voltage on the chassis. Stupid. Modern amps have corrected this. Most modern amps have a mains fuse and a HT fuse and if the fuses blow, there's no live voltage inside the chassis anywhere (hopefully).
Mains after fuse? I'm not sure what you mean here.

Also, many modern amps simply copy the mistakes of the old amps. Don't assume the primary wiring or the fusing is done well (at least on 'boutique' or project amps)
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

V2 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 pm

~Phil

Also, many modern amps simply copy the mistakes of the old amps. Don't assume the primary wiring or the fusing is done well (at least on 'boutique' or project amps)
Take a look at a lot of older Marshalls and you'll see. The fuse and switch are wired in a potentially unsafe fashion.

When I say "modern" amps, I'm referring to mass-produced products that follow modern guidelines and best-practices for safety.
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

V2

Post by V2 »

FourT6and2 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:31 pm
V2 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Take a look at a lot of older Marshalls and you'll see. The fuse and switch are wired in a potentially unsafe fashion.

When I say "modern" amps, I'm referring to mass-produced products that follow modern guidelines and best-practices for safety.
ok, the mains switch after the fuse. This positioning isn't a problem; fusing the neutral wire rather than the live wire is (or at least can be) a problem....