Lee Jackson videos

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Lee Jackson videos

Post by Mark »

This is all old news, I haven't watched all of the Marshall videos, but I thought the workshop environment looked a bit rough. See what you think?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VZor5pDOy3Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LPkC0j5Aik
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Re: Lee Jackson videos

Post by M Fowler »

Very sloppy repair/mods not road worthy.

I have fixed a few of his Metaltronic M1000 amps and they were build well but I didn't care for them sonically.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Wow that intro was something. I probably would have pulled the tubes out before I remove the chassis but what do I know.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sticking it out past the intro shows commitment.

The top secret banner is hilarious.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

that guy is a fucking butcher :x
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Chief,

I almost choked on that one, thanks. :D

Mark
nworbetan

Post by nworbetan »

What is a puff cap? He keeps on talking about 500 puff caps but I skipped ahead 20 minutes and I missed the time when he explained what a puff cap is.
didit

Post by didit »

A pâte feuilletée topping for that meatless mess? Either that or a few picoFarad.

Best .. Ian
Mark

Post by Mark »

Puff is the old timers term for picofarad. I use it myself, guilt by association? :lol:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

He destroyed two of my Superleads.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Destroyed is a strong word, I've seen amps with dubious mods, such as bright channel cap replaced with a 1000pF cap and the presence pot replaced with a 1K pot (it did sound "right" with the 5K pot.)

My dubious mod to the amp was to replace the bright volume control which had been previously replaced with a switch pot. This enabled the user to switch the bright cap in and out as desired, it made the amp far more controllable and flexible for the owner.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I mean I shopped for a pair of 1970 Superleads close enough in production to be identical and then paid him nearly a month of wages to make them worthless. Ruined. Midrange sweeps were not nearly the same on the pair, the gain was RETARDED and the amps sounded like AM versions of a beehive hacked off at 800Hz.

Harry Kolbe also screwed up a best amp. The only thing Harry got right was the dead loads I used until I didn't feel safe using because of how hot they got. He was supposed to do the exact thing he did to Steve Stevens' amp. Nope.

80s charlatans with two inch ads. Maybe they were good at television repair, who knows? Anyone have a Lee Jackson Magnavox fish tank?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Mark

Post by Mark »

That sounds terrible, how did you handle him once you heard the sounds coming out of your Marshall's?
I'm sure he wanted to be paid and I'm sure you were horrified by the results of his "work".
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Paid up front. No recourse. Used heads for spare parts for me and friends. I never met the guy. All phone calls and waiting. They arrived at a depot two days before I got to town on a tour.

Many of the publicly known names of "article" famous people in guitar and amp building from the 80s know what my Satan voice sounds like. I don't have boundaries to my choices of words.

He's a complete legend. There is no there, there. He never made a single thing that sounded good. He's a fucking tool and an invention of marketing two inch ads.

Like all that horken crap for sale in the market today. Shit used to be purpose designed by skilled engineers who understood the useage. Now UA makes OX. End users make nightmares in their minds.. then they become the ideas drving software devwlopers who have to call in hardware guys without a say.. everything's broken. There is a reason not to use speaker emulation in series with your actual soeakers.. I need insterts before the reverb... where are all my outputs? Why does this thing feel like it's made in a slave labor iphone factory on off hours... as if there were any off hours in a slave labor iphone factory..

Mental midgets. Tiny teeny brains hanging with rockstars.. so many key fobs and t shirts....

The only guy you could trust (and you can still hear it in his amps that DOMINATED the decade) is Jose. For realz

PS: lol don't get me started
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Just thought of this; We aren't itching for Kolbe mods.. nobody wants a Jackson mod... everyone wants to know which legs to cut off the spider. Everyone wants a Jose mod.. ask Mark Cameron. Without Jose, there would not be rock, nor Dave Friedman.

I hope Mark comes along sometime and sees this.