Post by M Fowler »

I tried to get a recording but no luck.

Mark
professormudd

Re: Merlin's Ultra High Gain preamp

Post by professormudd »

I need to buy this book.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Roe

Post by Roe »

the book is very useful but it does not cover fusing (his website does though)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah but that's because it's for preamps. I believe the power amps book that's been pulled and never really returned had a lot of the power supply design stuff.

Some of it made it back into his HiFi book but not all of it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:55 pm Yeah but that's because it's for preamps. I believe the power amps book that's been pulled and never really returned had a lot of the power supply design stuff.

Some of it made it back into his HiFi book but not all of it.

~Phil
I always wanted to get the power supply design book but then it disappeared. Can you recommend another book that gets into PS detail?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Merlin himself says he put most of the important data from the power supply book into his book on hifi audio. I don't know enough to speak to compare the two. I have the new one and it does cover a lot of detail on power supplies.

In that book: http://valvewizard.co.uk/Book3.html

Chapter 11 covers the power supply.

I think understanding HiFi makes sense anyway becuase you can see the differences between the two types of amplifiers (i.e. guitar/HiFi)

There's a lot more effort that has to go into HiFi that we don't need to care about for guitar amps.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm Merlin himself says he put most of the important data from the power supply book into his book on hifi audio. I don't know enough to speak to compare the two. I have the new one and it does cover a lot of detail on power supplies.

In that book: http://valvewizard.co.uk/Book3.html

Chapter 11 covers the power supply.

I think understanding HiFi makes sense anyway becuase you can see the differences between the two types of amplifiers (i.e. guitar/HiFi)

There's a lot more effort that has to go into HiFi that we don't need to care about for guitar amps.

~Phil
Thanks for the reply! yeah, I think I'll pick up that hifi book then and check it out
wittyjeff

Post by wittyjeff »

Mark, how did this thing turn out? I'm preparing for a build and was planning to use the Merlin "Ultra High Gain" preamp. I'm looking to achieve some "Metal" distortion with this. How would you say it sounds? Can it do some Godsmack, Collective Soul, Alter Bridge, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, Green Day, Limp Biscuit, Slip Knot type of tones?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Turned out great and is so damn loud. It's been sold twice and just came in for new tubes.
received_1071551723584336.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.