Cray Z AF

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Cray Z AF

Post by Reeltarded »

Todays insanity is 5 stages ending with a CF. TS after stage 1, gain 1 after stage 2, 3 and 4 have separate gains, master left of stage 5 feeding CF. Marshall PI. 24k tail. 5k Pres 330R para with 1.5u film cap. lol.. a tiny value Resonance just to bump the thump. Thinking .0068 or .0082. Subby.

1 is 220k-.68u over 2k7
2 is 130k-25u over 1k5
3 and 4 look fantastically similar to a Dumble OD setup.. :roll:
5 is 820R with a 100k CF

6 position bright (47p-2200p) on first gain.

Switchable bypass stages 1 and 4. (on-none-on) s1 5u < > s1 10u, s4 10u.

33k-83k slope control. Might up that to 100k variable for 133k total. I can afford the misplaced signal.. :D

It's stupid. I'm doing it anyhow.

My signal wires are going to be wrapped and doubled foil. This is a Blues Breaker chassis with the final small tube on the far side out the output.

Wish me luck. I'm not even going to draw it. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Re: Cray Z AF

Post by didit »

Good luck?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's going good. Started at CF working forward. Amp works and resonance is going away. This is ridiculous. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I had to bypass and finally remove a stage from the OD setup. haha why didn't someone try to stop me?

That was insane!! Awesome fun amp.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Craz Z AF exeriment success. Moved TS back to end of stages. It's 4 stages and CF now. Lots of tinkering later the tonal balance and control is really fantastic. It hits like a bomb dropped. :)

I am a litte surprised at how quiet it is idling and I can walk three feet from it without causing OSC sirens. With all three gains at about 7 and master on anything higher than 3 it plays without picking the note, fundamental feedback, transition to octave pretty much every note from the nut to 15th fret. With the gains all moderated around 4-5 and the master around 7, it will make you black out with severe force trauma. heh

I deleted the RES control and used 1500p over 82k for fixed thump. Perfect! I am going to add a 250k/.0047u cut control after second stage when this coffee cup gets a little shallower.
Davidg

Post by Davidg »

Would love too hear it!! (Hint Hint) I've got an old Fender PA 100 I've had sitting around forever that I have thought about doing something like this with it. I can't seem to make up my mind between a Mad Scientist. fun build like this or just play it safe and make a SLO clone out of it. Always loved the SLO but this would be so much cooler and more fun. Anyway I humbly salute you sir for bravely flying by the seat of your pants and going where no man has gone before in an effort to please the tone gods. (And by tone gods I mean Bill Burgess of course-Lol . Sorry couldn't resist) Really though 5 stages plus a CF+TS?? What the hell where u thinking? You could have reversed the rotation of the earth like Superman or warped the space time continium and created a Bizarro world..(Which may have been a good thing?) Regardless, You are a brave man. May the Schwartz be with you 👻
If Hendrix had lived would he have been as good as EDDIE? (Shaver that is)
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

haha!

ooof I saw an airbloom video offered to me on youtube yesterday and the air bloomed.. eeech!

Will get a decent video of the amp operating when it gets back from a gig loan next week!
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

With all three gains at about 7 and master on anything higher than 3 it plays without picking the note, fundamental feedback,
Whoo Hoo! First time I saw something like this was Mick Box playing at the Omni in Atlanta, GA, around '76 or so. Fretting notes with one hand, and having a drink with the other. Then he'd grind his SG against the mike stand like a slide. Really wowed the crowd. Guessing he was playing a Superlead Marshall.

Think you've got a winner there.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

statorvane wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am
With all three gains at about 7 and master on anything higher than 3 it plays without picking the note, fundamental feedback,
Whoo Hoo! First time I saw something like this was Mick Box playing at the Omni in Atlanta, GA, around '76 or so. Fretting notes with one hand, and having a drink with the other. Then he'd grind his SG against the mike stand like a slide. Really wowed the crowd. Guessing he was playing a Superlead Marshall.

Think you've got a winner there.
Rainbow at The Fox. Ritchie Blackmore hit his guitar with a beer bottle until it broke then opened another beer.

hahaha

He was sort of drunk!