Revisiting my very first amp build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Revisiting my very first amp build

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hi all

It has been some time since I have been regularly active on here, but I figured it was time to come back and share a bit.

My first amp build was 4-5ish years ago, and was a Marshall 2061x kit from Ceriatone. My build was horrible, the first try probably would have caught fire if I had powered it up. I tore it apart a rebuilt it. It worked but had some really nasty loud hum. I rebuilt it again after that, with the same problem. I eventually gave up on the amp and pursued other projects. I've built and sold of several amps since then and decided that it was time to get this one working properly.

I mostly gutted it, leaving only the original transformers, indicator light, switches, iec outlet, can cap, heater artificial center tap, and a handful of wires. So I started almost from scratch. I bought a blank perforated board from antique electronic supply, and set my own turrets, copying the original Ceriatone layout. The amplified parts board turned out to be the exact same size and spacing as the original board I pulled. I did make a couple small modifications to the layout, just to accommodate the power tube grid stoppers on the board. I figured if it was giving me issues, I could have moved the stoppers to the sockets.

I made some other minor modifications as well. I replaced the 470k reference resistors for the power tubes with 2.2meg's in parallel with a 500k dual gang pot to form a post phase inverter master volume. The pot is in place of one of the lead channel input jacks. I didn't care for the lead channel so much, so I converted it to the bass channel specs and left only the high input next to the master volume pot. This way I can still jumper the channels for more gain or different tones if I want to.

Anyway, It came together in about 12 hours, and I am fairly happy with it, though there are a couple areas that aren't as neat as I want. I may go back later and clean up a little more, but for now I am satisfied. I had to extend some transformer wires, and left the big red one connected to the can cap from the original build. Examining my pictures, there are some solder joints that could be cleaned up a bit, and I will probably take care of these in a few days.

I previously had it in a Mojotone 2x10 combo cabinet, but I have ordered a head cabinet for it, and will soon order a 1x12 cab with Celestion blue for it from Mojotone. Overall, it was a very rewarding project, and it sounds awesome!

Here are some pics of the original build, and my newly finished one! The old pic is blurry due to a bad camera on my phone at the time, but I think the difference is pretty clear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not really
Reeltarded

Re: Revisiting my very first amp build

Post by Reeltarded »

That looks like some experience! Nice work, Josh!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
DenDanger

Post by DenDanger »

Yes indeed. Fine work there, Josh.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Good job, Josh. The rebuild looks much nicer. I'd like to hear the updated tone report when you get that Celestion Blue.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

DenDanger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:51 am Yes indeed. Fine work there, Josh.
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:53 am That looks like some experience! Nice work, Josh!
Colossal wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm Good job, Josh. The rebuild looks much nicer. I'd like to hear the updated tone report when you get that Celestion Blue.
Thank you everyone! I will definitely come back with some results and more pics when I have the new cabs and speaker! I got to crank it today in stereo with my ac15hw and it was glorious! It's currently in a 2x10 combo with a celestion g10 gold and an eminence rf10c (ceramic speaker supposedly voiced like an alnico somehow) which sounds okay, but I think a single 12" blue will be better!
Not really
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Congratulations on the rebuild, It's a fun "little" amp.

I'm surprised you don't care for the lead channel. My preference is just the opposite, I like the way the volume jumps when the tone is wide open and the volume just cracked; tone at 10, vol around 2-3. I don't really care so much for the bass channel. Jumpered, it's okay, but I tweaked it some to cut some bass. I am playing through a 4x10" cab, Emi Ramrods, Sovtek EL84s, EH preamp tubes (sorry Miles they have zero noise).
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

statorvane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 am
(sorry Miles they have zero noise).
lol

They take the pants off a trem circuit and they are firm, and "with the strength". A couple in a row of three or four stages starts to get ridiculous. :) (... like shots of whiskey)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

statorvane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 am Congratulations on the rebuild, It's a fun "little" amp.

I'm surprised you don't care for the lead channel. My preference is just the opposite, I like the way the volume jumps when the tone is wide open and the volume just cracked; tone at 10, vol around 2-3. I don't really care so much for the bass channel. Jumpered, it's okay, but I tweaked it some to cut some bass. I am playing through a 4x10" cab, Emi Ramrods, Sovtek EL84s, EH preamp tubes (sorry Miles they have zero noise).
I think that this is most people's preference, but for me it is just too bright! You might also be interested to know that I prefer the vox normal channel to the top boost!
Not really