Fargen mini plex MKII decade switch

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

peckjed

Fargen mini plex MKII decade switch

Post by peckjed »

Hey All, I picked up a Fargen Mini Plex MKII dirt cheap on Craigslist recently. Awesome sounding Marshall style amp that does everything from JTM, JMP and plexi/800. However, when the decade switch is on the 80’s mode and the bright switch is on (even somewhat off), it feeds back A TON when the gain is turned up. Which somewhat makes sense, but I feel like it feeds back TOO much, almost a squeal. I spoke with Ben Fargen briefly and he mentioned he originally used a 4.7uF cap on the 80’s switch and then later swapped it to a 10k resistor. I swapped the cap with a 1/2 watt 10k resistor (didn’t have a 1 watt)... and it helped. But not a ton. Does anyone see any other sort of tweaks or issues with the amp as is?

I circled the 10k resistor I swapped in the first photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frankdrebin

Re: Fargen mini plex MKII decade switch

Post by frankdrebin »

A schematic could be useful
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

frankdrebin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:42 am A schematic could be useful
Agreed. I tried to obtain one with no luck. The response I got about the 80's decade setting was "It's called tube shot noise and honestly that's just the downside of an 800 style high gain cascaded tube stage...by standards my amps are 50-60% less noisy than a Marshall of the same gain staging."
frankdrebin

Post by frankdrebin »

you have the amp,draw it yourself,otherwise its impossible to assume any cause.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I have one of these, and yes, there is a lot of gain at that setting. I get feedback too in some situations, but less than my high gain cascaded Marshall style build. Try some different preamp tubes before you go crazy with mods.
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

gktamps wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm I have one of these, and yes, there is a lot of gain at that setting. I get feedback too in some situations, but less than my high gain cascaded Marshall style build. Try some different preamp tubes before you go crazy with mods.
That’s good to know. What pre-amp tubes dude you settle with? Did you do any mods at all?