HOW DOES THE MOJO 18 W TMD LAYOUT LOOK TO YOU? EXPERT OPINIONS NEEDED.

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: HOW DOES THE MOJO 18 W TMD LAYOUT LOOK TO YOU? EXPERT OPINIONS NEEDED.

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That or you could cover the leads with some shrink tubing just to give it more isolation. Both would be even better :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Noted and agreed! Thanks, Phil!
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Old 100K clipped out, new one insulated and moved further away from power rail, soldered to V2 pin 3 cathode turret:

47 pF fizz cap clipped out, new 100 pF fizz cap installed:

Warmed up, plugged in, kerrang! and GUYS!!! GUYS.....WOW. THIS AMP SOUNDS MEGA GOOD!!! The distortion is so smooth and woody, just the right amount of snarl at low to medium gain, and then when you crank the gain up to 10, it's got hair to spare [EDIT: with still some fizz when the gain is set high, but it's better], and NO SQUEALING!!! YES!!! LET IT BE KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE LAND!!! THIS IS WHAT THE 18 WATT TMB WAS BORN TO SOUND LIKE. Another key feature for me on the "800-now-Plexi-Channel" is that it cleans up really nicely with the guitar volume. That is critical. I have a Dr. "Somebody" 6V6 Plexi-style amp that sounds incredible...until you roll back the guitar volume and the tone just drops like a rock. Different amp, I know. But this TMB is fixed and ready to rock, man! If I was to build another--and I probably will--I'd be happy building it just like it is now.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! SLUCKEY ET AL, MAN!
Just plug it in, man.
Governator

Post by Governator »

Glad to see you have sorted it out! Thanks for sharing what you did - I’m now looking to go the same mods you have done, the noise on the TMB channel just annoys me. Only issue is I’ll need to get a Mojo 680n cap and being in Australia It’s always hard sourcing these parts😞.

Edit: I can source 680n/630v 150M metal film polypropylene caps locally, would there be any noticeable difference between this and the Mojotone ones?

How do you find the tone stack effectiveness compared to before the mod?
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm not an expert on cap brands, etc., but you can source them from several places. I do know that the old Sozo Royal Mustard caps became the Synergy Royal Mustard caps when the factory and designer parted ways. Now Sozo has new caps on the market. I picked up some Synergys to put in my next Marshall build, so I can report on that later.

Regarding the tone stack, the mid control seems much more subtle post mod. Not that it's useless, but the mid contour is much less affected by turning the knob. It sounds great, though, I think. If I put in a channel foot switch and a single input, this might be just a tad more usable. But it's great now!
Just plug it in, man.
Governator

Post by Governator »

Thanks mate, sounds great, I plan to give this a try over the next week or so. I ended up ordering a couple of The Sozo Next Gen Vintage 680nF caps, they are only rated at 160V though, whereas the Mojotone cathode bias cap is 630v - pretty sure the 160V will be ok since the voltage from the cathode to sound is only 1 or 2 volts.

A channel switched option would be ideal, I was going to place an AB switch on my pedal board to switch between the normal and TMB channels.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Colossal wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:17 pm There definitely have been some errors discovered in Mojo layouts of late. And some of them can result in significant struggle for the builder!
+1 had built a Studio 1 and noticed their layout creates a big 'pop' switching from clean to dirty or visa versa. Just needed a resistor added, but it made a huge difference in performance.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them