SDM SILVER JUBILEE

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

SDM SILVER JUBILEE

Post by ViperDoc »

While researching the Lerxst Omega amp in conjunction with my channel-switching Marshall investigation, I came across a layout of a Silver Jubilee drawn by SDM on the metro forum. Seems to be a well-respected amp guy, but I know nothing beyond a few forum posts.

Questions:

1) How would you rate this drawing? It could be the best in the world, I just have no idea myself.
2) How does the 2550 compare to the 2204? I've never played a 2550.
3) There is a "black box"-looking device just next to the bias supply on the board. Vas ist das?
4) Is there a schematic for this amp?

Thank you!
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Re: SDM SILVER JUBILEE

Post by xtian »

1. Looks nice. Is it accurate? No idea.
3. Bias trimmer pot
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

1) I would trust that drawing to be accurate much more than I would a Mojo drawing.
2) Google.
3) See above.
4) Google.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

xtian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:40 pm 1. Looks nice. Is it accurate? No idea.
3. Bias trimmer pot
Thanks, xtian! Makes sense, I've never seen one stand on its side like that. I found some Marshall 2550-5 schematics on EL34world. Might take some time to figure out. How reliable are the Ceriatone layouts?
Just plug it in, man.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

All of the Metroamp and SDM drawings are of high quality.

5) what Martin said
6) see #5
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Here's a Marshall 2554 25/50 watt schematic. I see that Friedman puts his very-Metro-looking effects loop after his Master volume on his amps. Any problems moving the loop from the 2554's position? It is in between V2A and V2B.
Marshall_25aniv_silverjubilee_25_50w_2554.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Are 220K pots still available? I imagine you’d sub for 250k, but if you’re shooting for accuracy, where would one find those, audio and linear? Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

For sure. AES has three listed. Probably find them all over the net if you just look.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:02 pm Are 220K pots still available? I imagine you’d sub for 250k, but if you’re shooting for accuracy, where would one find those, audio and linear? Thanks.
Be sure to check the part tolerance/precision. You might want a 220k pot but end up with something significantly higher or lower than the nominal value, which can be maddening and wastefully expensive, meaning, you might need to buy a bunch of pots just to find the one that works for your application. Then what to do with all the losers?... Case in point, I wanted a 300k pot for a build and the two I ordered turned out to be 250k. Useless.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

any reason not to use a larger pot (i seem to always have 1M on hand) and run a 220k resistor along the outer lugs?
that's what I've been doing so if there's a reason not to I'd like to know!
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

thetragichero wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:43 am any reason not to use a larger pot (i seem to always have 1M on hand) and run a 220k resistor along the outer lugs?
that's what I've been doing so if there's a reason not to I'd like to know!
You can, but the taper may or may not be ideal. But it's easy to measure the response with a DMM and plot the data in Excel. I did that to get my 300k pot.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

A 1MA pot with "283K" across the outer lugs should get you closest to 220K. What about a 270K and a 10K in series? What taper issues have you noticed when doing that? How much better would that be over a 250K pot and calling it good?
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

sluckey wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:02 pm For sure. AES has three listed. Probably find them all over the net if you just look.
Right. At first I was searching for a CTS version, and I couldn't find any. AES seems to have quite a bit of everything, thanks for the recommendation. I've never used them.
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Please see OP for this question: What is the purpose of the two LEDs on the board? The two red ones just to the side of the relay on the board. ???
Just plug it in, man.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I believe the LED's are part of the diode clipping circuit. I'm not super strong on how it does it, but it gives some of the distortion.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!