80s Bogner modded Marshall 2204

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

EddyLenz

80s Bogner modded Marshall 2204

Post by EddyLenz »

Hi Guys,

I finally got around to making a video of this beast. I really love this amp and am very lucky to own it.
The only annoying thing about this amp is, that it doesn't handle IRs as well as my other amps do. It took quite a while to select the right IRs out of the thousands out there.
I think I got quite a decent sound with this setup now, but it still sounds so much better through a real cab.

The story behind this amp is, that it was modded by Reinhold Bogner in the 80s. When I bought it, I had the chance to compare it to two other Bogner modded Marshalls, that the guy owned, and unfortunately, this one was the weakest of the three. He was amazingly kind though and offered me to take my favorite of his other two amps with me for a few weeks, so I could have a close look at the circuit and put it in the amp I just bought.
So that's exactly what I did. I spent a lot of time, figuring out every little detail of his amp and rebuild the one I just bought to those exact specs.

This was the winner of the comparison and the amp that he lent to me. It sounds quite different compared to the video of my rebuilt 2204, but that's mainly because of the completely different setups, because I filmed that video, when I was in Germany.
Back then I compared my rebuilt 2204 with this amp, and they were as close as you can get with different tubes and transformers.

What do you think of those amps and do you have any other stories about Bogner modded Marshalls that you'd like to share?
Mark

Re: 80s Bogner modded Marshall 2204

Post by Mark »

It is a very 80's sounding Marshall. So is it different from many other circuits for high gain Marshall's?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Roe

Post by Roe »

any schematics?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Mark wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 am It is a very 80's sounding Marshall. So is it different from many other circuits for high gain Marshall's?
Yeah, it's quite a unique circuit. Reinhold probably modded the "Marsh" around 1987-8. It's somewhat similar to what ENGL used, although it has some twists, that I've never seen before.
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Roe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 amany schematics?
Sorry, not for this amp.
There's a schematic of a Bogner Fish Cantrell Mod out there, that can get you somewhat close.
The old ENGL stuff is also quite similar.
Nickerz

Post by Nickerz »

EddyLenz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 am
Roe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 amany schematics?
Sorry, not for this amp.
There's a schematic of a Bogner Fish Cantrell Mod out there, that can get you somewhat close.
The old ENGL stuff is also quite similar.
How old? Lasse mentioned the "straight" but I literally have never seen one on the marketplaces. So hopefully something newer than that.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

that thing has a big rank nose and throat.. bawaaaar! lovely!

Weird. I can know things about the insides by looking at the control settings. I have been staring at Marshalls for too long lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.