100w Mtl build with clip

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

studiodunn

100w Mtl build with clip

Post by studiodunn »

This is a Mtl board I got from Burger here on the forum. I had built the 50w MCII which sounded fantastic, so I couldn't wait to jump into the Mtl.

I had the MM O100JM OT sitting around from some emporium buy and a 100w PT that "should work". It actually does work after I was made aware of the fact that the PT was only rated for 5.5A and I needed 6 just for the 4 El34s, so the build shifted to 5881's and off I went.

Everything is pretty straight forward and the documentation Jason provides is spot on and makes putting the amp together pain free for the most part. I do tend to create plenty of self-induced pain with my lack of knowledge / head first approach, but I didn't get zapped and nothing cooked.....well almost nothing 8)

So with a wrong PT, a used OT with 3" leads and a 50w chassis that needed creative modding I sunk my 30 hours into the amp and have been loving the way it sounds. Really great cleans and some of the tightest, yet open and still musical gain I'v had in the garage in a while.

And thanks to all on this forum who constantly field my sometimes embarrassingly simple questions and do it over and over again...thank you!

I'll get a clip up ASAP.
IMG_7511.jpg
IMG_7514.jpg
IMG_7519.jpg
IMG_7494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by studiodunn on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
studiodunn

Re: 100w Mtl/Slo/WHOA! build

Post by studiodunn »

and the footswitch
IMG_7528.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Well done, and I'm interested to hear what it sounds like! What's up with the LCD panel-like thing on the back? Looks like bias check with selector for the four output tubes?
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

martin manning wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:30 pm Well done, and I'm interested to hear what it sounds like! What's up with the LCD panel-like thing on the back? Looks like bias check with selector for the four output tubes?
Thanks Martin. Yes that is a mV meter and 4 pole switch attached to each tube. I would do it again but just change the location of the Lascar meter. It most definitely makes burn in nice with the ability to scan all the tubes.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Les Paul straight in into a ported V30 theil cab
Clean starts on the neck and goes to the bridge. Everything is basically set to noon and the MV is set to loud talking levels. I have the diodes on a switch and just adjust the level(down) and saturation(up) when they are switched out.
The clean channel can get all the way to Plexi and the Lead channel has allot more gain left. I don't even have the lead boost engaged in the video, but there is a mile of different gain levels to be had. EQ is super responsive and the low end is down right threatening in this amp.

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: 100w Mtl build with clip

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sounds gnarly, nice!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Re: 100w Mtl build with clip

Post by M Fowler »

Sounds great glad you got both amps built.

I've had exhausting weeks of trying to figure out what to order for components and then stuff the boards when it all came in. :D

Both the MCII and MTL will be 50w I don't need anymore then that.

Mark