IDEAL MARSHALL IRON?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

IDEAL MARSHALL IRON?

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm looking to build a 100W Marshall, mostly around a Silver Jubilee. What transformers/choke would you recommend?

I see Heyboer winds Metro Spec PT with high and low output (185-0-185 and 152-0-153) on the same trannie. Is Heyboer the best way to go? OT?

I also need good spec on the choke. I emailed Phil and requested a "T3"--which is listed on the Silver Jubilee SCH--and he wasn't sure what that was.

I also want to use an individual heater transformer for the relays since I've heard using the standard heater output can be noisy. I was unsure on the amps to spec, although I would expect you would only need low current. 120V-6.3V-??A I would think one or two amps would be plenty, no? Thanks!
Just plug it in, man.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: IDEAL MARSHALL IRON?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ViperDoc wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm I'm looking to build a 100W Marshall, mostly around a Silver Jubilee. What transformers/choke would you recommend?

I see Heyboer winds Metro Spec PT with high and low output (185-0-185 and 152-0-153) on the same trannie. Is Heyboer the best way to go? OT?

I also need good spec on the choke. I emailed Phil and requested a "T3"--which is listed on the Silver Jubilee SCH--and he wasn't sure what that was.

I also want to use an individual heater transformer for the relays since I've heard using the standard heater output can be noisy. I was unsure on the amps to spec, although I would expect you would only need low current. 120V-6.3V-??A I would think one or two amps would be plenty, no? Thanks!
T3 just means 'transformer 3' like R3 means "Resistor 3" so not much help with that I'm sure.

There are chokes specced specifically as marshall 100W chokes on hoffmanamps.com or tubesandmore.com that will work fine.

Hoffmans: https://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlsho ... D=!ORDERID! there on the page is a "marshall choke" that will do the goods He also has the power and output for the 100 W all are heyboer, I've used heyboer on my builds from him a ton w/ great results.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks, Phil!
Just plug it in, man.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Hoffman no longer sells that iron.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh that's a bit misleading... lol

how hard would it be to remove them. It has a price listed, details on how they are wired on a link etc.

Sorry I missed that. If I stopped selling something, I'd remove it to remove confusion... oh well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I agree. Doug is downsizing and going into semi-retirement. He has let a lot of stock disappear through attrition. He does have a lot of links to the same stuff thru Mojo, but not for everything that has disappeared.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

ViperDoc wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm I'm looking to build a 100W Marshall, mostly around a Silver Jubilee. What transformers/choke would you recommend?

I would just go with iron from Classictone, 1.7k OT, PT with at 7.5A and a 3-5h choke. I won't say they are "the" best but they sound great, are quick to get and very affordable.
Roe

Post by Roe »

For OTs, consider Merren and MArstran. For PTs and chokes, classictone seems fine
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mykkus

Post by Mykkus »

Ditto Roe

It’s worth the upgrade imo on the OT.
As long as pt puts you where you want it’s good
You can’t hear the PT

But man the Merren iron makes a huge difference in my builds
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I like to use the Hammond 194G choke 3h 250mA smaller open frame rather then the larger 4 bolt coke and don't notice a difference.

Mark