Philips MKT capacitors?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dingleberry

Philips MKT capacitors?

Post by Dingleberry »

Hi!
Marshall-fever hit me big time a while ago and I see no other cure for it than build me one.
I have plenty of these 22nf Philips MKT caps and I was thinking about using them🤔
It’s gonna be late JMP 2204/early JCM800 —type circuit and what I’ve read that those yellow box caps were MKT-type and made by Philips and chicklets were MKT too. So probably sound wise they will suit well also?
Only thing that bothers me is that they look a bit wimpy😞
They kind of look that they won’t handle 400V and when playing with serious volume that marshall will spit fire trough them...
Were those yellow box caps 400V or 630V?
Has anyone used similar caps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simplify before you amplify
martin manning

Re: Philips MKT capacitors?

Post by martin manning »

Metallized polyester film should be fine from a sound perspective. Re the voltage rating, consider the B+ you will be running. if it's ca. 400V like a JMP or early JCM800, I'd say the 400V rating should be enough. In photos I've seen 400V Phillips Mustard caps in JMP amps.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

The B+ will be in the 400V ballpark. So in the preamp plates and CF stage cathode there will be maximum like 250-300V. I think I try and see how it sounds and what happens.
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

I used that series to upgrade the stock caps in my Vox AC302X.
perfect size for the pc board, and better yet they sound fantastic!
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
frankdrebin

Post by frankdrebin »

Dingleberry wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:58 pm Hi!
Marshall-fever hit me big time a while ago and I see no other cure for it than build me one.
I have plenty of these 22nf Philips MKT caps and I was thinking about using them🤔
It’s gonna be late JMP 2204/early JCM800 —type circuit and what I’ve read that those yellow box caps were MKT-type and made by Philips and chicklets were MKT too. So probably sound wise they will suit well also?
Only thing that bothers me is that they look a bit wimpy😞
They kind of look that they won’t handle 400V and when playing with serious volume that marshall will spit fire trough them...
Were those yellow box caps 400V or 630V?
Has anyone used similar caps?
i used them,i also had a couple amps that had them by factory,changed them all with Wimas,no sound change.
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

electroplex uses them in some of his amps.. they sound alright.. im sure theres no issue with "can't take it" as long as its 400v ... id use something else myself though.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Thanks for the replies! I think I’ll use them for most parts of the signal chain.
I was going trough my stashes last weekend and selected most of the components to make a layout.
Found two of those ”no-name” 22nf/1kV KT-capacitors so those will go after P.I.
ERO mkt1813 680nf caps I have for cathode bypass.
Found a couple of mustards too and with pf-values I think I’ll go with styroflex caps all the way because I have them on hand and I’ve used them in other builds with good succes.
Got also some nice NOS Beyschlag and Philips resistors that will end up on this build.
Can’t wait to start this project👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dingleberry on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

And I have a head cab waiting also.
This was some old telephone equipment box but it just looks that there has to be an amp in it!
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Turret board and turrets finally came and components are fitting nicely.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Nice sight... 8)