My JTM50/JMP50/1987 build...so it begins....

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dizzyhippoman

Re: My JTM50/JMP50/1987 build...so it begins....

Post by dizzyhippoman »

I got a little bit more done this weekend....drilled the board so i could make all the terminations on top of the board. Did not want to have any issues underneath the board once installed.

awaiting parts and trying to decide how to protect the secondary of the PT transformer from a shorted diode in the rectifier....kinda a common issue. Stock wiring has a fuse after the rectifier. Wont help when a diode shorts.

IMG_0812.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

Waiting on transformers now... so when Chicago decides to go back to work, I will be able to finish....pretty much done with wiring...

Built a quick amp stand to set it on for ease of maintenance and modding....

Head shell arrived from Sour Mash guitars and cabs....did a great job....I had them shorten it to 20" wide to fit my 2x12 cab...also had them add the vents on top since its a lot of electronics in a very small cab...

take care,
eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul G.

Post by Paul G. »

dizzyhippoman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm I got a little bit more done this weekend....drilled the board so i could make all the terminations on top of the board. Did not want to have any issues underneath the board once installed...
I've learned my lesson about this after going nuts making a sleek board with underboard connections recently. I had an issue, had to lift the board to fix it. I decided to just clip the wires close and do the repairs topside. When I bolted the board back down, I didn't notice the connection to one of my PI plates got pinched and shorted out. You don't want to hear an amp with only half of a Phase Inverter working. I found the issue quick (voltage checks are your friend), but I never would have had so much trouble if I just wired topside only.
Use your head.
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

yikes!....glad you got it figured out...

I went round and round whether it was worth the extra work...

I also went round and round about fusing the secondary of the PT....You can see i added the fuse holders around the bridge rectifier on the side of the chassis. I am not going to fuse the heater wiring.

eric
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

Transformers finally came in after delay in Chicago plant for corona virus shutdown. Got frankenstein up off the desk last night! After checking voltages everywhere, i got up the nerve to throw the switch.

"It's Alive!" .....lol

The feel and sound of this amp is just fantastic. And i don't even have it thru greenbacks, lol. I am going into a Hotplate load and then to a Ultra-g DI with cab sim and then reamped into Valve Junior head and out to my Jet City 2x12 cab at whatever volume i want. Great way to use a plexi at home.

I am working on getting some clips up today and tomorrow. My music room is in shambles from all the solder, wire clipping, cords etc.....

I should have got or built a plexi a long time ago....its just so thick and complex but smooth...can't explain it....

clips to follow soon i hope....bear with me

eric
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

I built a reactive load from this thread https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... d.1072793/

and it sounds amazing!...a must have for a NMV at home....

I highly suggest adding this to your stash....reamping with a line out for low volume use is fantastic

all the feel of a tube amp is there.....300% better than my Hot Plate resistive load...

oh, also, i go out from the load to a Mooer Radar Impulse Cab Sim that is probably the best gear purchase i have made in 10 years....

look into it......

eric
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

picture of my Aiken load style build.....
IMG_0967.jpg