Post by Roe »

alfi27 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:47 am
Roe wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 pm the 2203 is brighter than #34 due to:
- the 150k resistor on 34
- the 220p snubber
- the 2n2 peaker
- more gain and compression gives a thicker, tone with more harmonic content
But #34 is brighter because of
- the partially bypassed cathodes, although this boost low mids and high bass, not just higher frequencies
The 150k thins out (or what some would call "tightens") the tone, at least that's what it did when I put the ground side on an alligator clip. The 2n2 peaker also adds mostly high-center mid content - again, from what I was hearing when taking it in and out. But if you are right, then something is definitely off (which I'm fairly convinced there is, anyway).

the 2n2 sounds way fatter than the 470pf peaker. it gives much more low mids and high bass.

the 150k deals with the notorious 1nf bright cap on the 1m pot, not by changing the cap as much as modifying the pot.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
alfi27

Re: #34 mod sounds awful...

Post by alfi27 »

Littlewyan wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:15 pm The official clip sounds good, although slightly too hairy. Tweaked sounds best, more control in the sound I think.

Did you have the Treble and Presence on 0 in the tweaked clip?
Cheers man, I sent it over to Jay and according to him that's how it's supposed to sound. The owner thought it sounded good as well, but like me he is a little worried that it's so bright with the treble and presence is at zero - so he was wondering if I can tweak it to sound the same but with treble and presence at 5, that's a bit of a challenge :roll:
I'm guessing there is a reason the mod hasn't been altered in 30 years to be able to do that, but who knows. I'll give it a shot at least, haha! As soon as the 6550s are in there, which will be tomorrow hopefully.

You know, I can't quite recall what the settings were... But I *think* they were both at 5, not that presence really does anything on these until like 7.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

If you're using the later Presence control with the 25k pot, then yeah, that thing does nothing up until 7/8. Works ok with little NFB (100K on 4ohm), but with anymore then I find it horrible to use. So much change in such a small range!

With regards to the treble pot, you could change it to a 250KA instead of a 250KB? Bogner has this as standard on his amps.
alfi27

Post by alfi27 »

Littlewyan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:15 am If you're using the later Presence control with the 25k pot, then yeah, that thing does nothing up until 7/8. Works ok with little NFB (100K on 4ohm), but with anymore then I find it horrible to use. So much change in such a small range!

With regards to the treble pot, you could change it to a 250KA instead of a 250KB? Bogner has this as standard on his amps.
Yeah I agree, I don't really buy that Marshall did it solely to get rid of DC on the pot - most people trying out a new amp puts everything at 5, if the 800 had a 5k presence pot that would have sounded awful at 5. Good idea with the audio taper treble, might do that actually!

I got the 6550s installed today also, had to get rid of the retainers as they weren't even close to fitting the massive 6550s, and luckily they biased up fine at about 65-70% dissipation. Honestly I didn't hear a massive difference right off the bat, but I feel like it responds better to tweaks now. 0.68uF presence cap and 5k/0.1uF cathode seems to be the ticket, owner is really happy with what he's hearing and there is a little bit of range on the treble pot at least - though I still prefer it at zero personally.

P/T at 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g7o4ucuxgm3u ... d.mp3?dl=0

P/T at 0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf9u4aqjuqdpe ... 2.mp3?dl=0
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I prefer the clip with the treble and presence at 5! Has a bit more sizzle and chewiness! But as long as the customer is happy then that's all that matters :)
Roe

Post by Roe »

the classic slash sound is based on a fat sounding guitar with low output pickups with weak magnets (alnico 2) into a bright, distorted amp and darker speakers (g12-80)
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
jumpbluesdude

Post by jumpbluesdude »

Have any of you ever heard of the #41 mod or the #44 mod? That's because Tim Caswell doesn't talk about them. Tim returned to a quiet life and was sought out initially by George Lynch, but Frank Levi couldn't stop bragging about his "accomplishments"(a New Yorker with a big mouth. Who knew?). Tim still works in the industry developing circuits and devices that goes far beyond simple amp mods. Just wanted to mention it for the people who want to sing the praises of Levi. I have spoken to Tim about those days and know people he has shared information with about those times in his life at SIR. He is a modest, quiet guy. He lives near me and plays in a couple of bands here. I won't disrupt the mans privacy, but there is a ton of information people don't know. If you think Levi was the man, your wrong.

George Lynch gave an interview in a guitar magazine in the late 80's talking about going to SIR and finding out Tim Caswell's name. He then sought him out, inquiring about the mods he did, and asking him to do one for him. He said that was the sound and had him do 3 more. The reason, Thermionic, that TC gets the recognition is because GL said he was the guy. Apparently, Mike Soldano thought so too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA9CqoOHp2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRfpZ_CYvw&t=245s
eBay: The place where a fool and their money part.
wired

Post by wired »

@alfi27 Slash's AFD tone was far brighter and far less beefy than I think most people realize. About as bright as some of EVH's early stuff. Both are very very bright. About as bright as white noise. I think alot of it comes down to speakers, and no way for example, will Vintage 30's get anywhere close to being that bright.
Littlewyan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm Dave Friedman worked on the #34 amp and he himself said it was a ridiculously bright amp. What speakers are you testing it through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4_3CSZkVHU&t=1s

Here is that amp through a Marshall 1960B cab, which I think has G12T-75 speakers.
Any source of info for G12T-75's being used for that clip?
Roe wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 am
Littlewyan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm Slash's main speaker is the Vintage 30
it has been for a long time but UYI was G12M. AFD seems to have been G12-80 but we don't really know
Are you guessing about the G12-80's, or is there some source stating that G12-80's were used?
Roe

Post by Roe »

wired wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm @alfi27 Slash's AFD tone was far brighter and far less beefy than I think most people realize. About as bright as some of EVH's early stuff. Both are very very bright. About as bright as white noise. I think alot of it comes down to speakers, and no way for example, will Vintage 30's get anywhere close to being that bright.
Littlewyan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm Dave Friedman worked on the #34 amp and he himself said it was a ridiculously bright amp. What speakers are you testing it through?

Here is that amp through a Marshall 1960B cab, which I think has G12T-75 speakers.
Roe wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 am
Littlewyan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm Slash's main speaker is the Vintage 30
it has been for a long time but UYI was G12M. AFD seems to have been G12-80 but we don't really know
Are you guessing about the G12-80's, or is there some source stating that G12-80's were used?
Yes, some indications at least, but not conclusive evidence that I am aware of. See the #34 thread on the metro board for details
4x12" w/H75s
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

wired wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm @alfi27 Slash's AFD tone was far brighter and far less beefy than I think most people realize. About as bright as some of EVH's early stuff. Both are very very bright. About as bright as white noise. I think alot of it comes down to speakers, and no way for example, will Vintage 30's get anywhere close to being that bright.

I was simply going by them stating it's a Marshall 1960B cabinet, which come with G12T-75s as standard. He could of switched out them I guess.