Lunchbox style build?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

alfi27

Lunchbox style build?

Post by alfi27 »

Hey guys,

I might have posted about this some time ago, but not in this forum I think. For a really long time I have been chasing the ultimate compact rig, considering everything from tube preamps with power amp simulation/IRs to Kemper and other digital solutions. Kemper is great, but the Powerhead is so expensive and not THAT compact compared to a lunchbox amp like an Orange Tiny Terror. My conclusion is that a 6V6 powered 20w-ish amp with the SE Lead circuit would be perfect for me, maybe with a simple clean channel or something for a little versatility but fundamentally a quite simple amp.

None of this is the issue though, the issue is to find someone making professional looking chassis for a build like this... I'm aware of the Hammond chassis and steel cages, maybe I could get someone to custom paint one of those? The Victory lunchbox amps look absolutely amazing, I actually managed to track down their supplier as well but it's impossible to get a response. Would probably require a minimum order of like 100 anyway... Or maybe I could gut something like a Vox Night Train? Would be a bit of a shame as that's pretty good sounding amps, but...

Any advice at all would be much, much appreciated. Cheers!
xtian

Re: Lunchbox style build?

Post by xtian »

I used a Hammond cage once. It looked nice. Not as road worthy as wood and vinyl.

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I've built a smaller 6V6 20W amp using the standard 50W Marshall chassis, however I had a smaller head cabinet made up for it (Roughly 24" wide, but you could easily go smaller). Are you in the UK? If so, this might be an option with a Hammond chassis - http://www.ampmaker.com/infocentre/thread-64.html

Or go with Xtian's cool looking option! Which has actually inspired me for my next build :D
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I can think of several simple ways to build a compact & light enclosure but most of these - if not all - have a common disadvantage that the grill on the top is not beer-proof... :lol:

One of the simplest thing I've been aware of is off that kind
DSCF1690.jpg
but you may as well imagine some other kind of combination of metal & wood, such as below.
cb384ae7743c7131da4786cf2a3bdc76.jpg
I'd be surprised that a well thought construction wouldn't be as solid as a full wood one, but I agree upon the fact that these Hammond chassis are made of rather (too) light gauge metal & should be reinforced at least.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i have yet to finish this build but it started life as a 1950s tube pa i found on reverb

look around for interesting stuff like that online/at ham fests
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.