1970 Marshall Super PA Vai Jose Mod Variation

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

EddyLenz

1970 Marshall Super PA Vai Jose Mod Variation

Post by EddyLenz »

Hi Everyone,

Just got back to the UK and converted my standard Jose to this Vai style Jose. I didn't tweak this one at all, because I have pretty much all my tools in Germany now. From the tests I've done so far with my other JMP in Germany, this type of Jose Mod is my favorite.

What do you think?
Roe

Re: 1970 Marshall Super PA Vai Jose Mod Variation

Post by Roe »

Any schematic to share? How does it differ from ordinary jose mods?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Roe wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:12 am Any schematic to share? How does it differ from ordinary jose mods?
I don't have a schematic, but it's a standard Jose with an added parallel stage + his Push-Pull Clipping Master Volume.
Thermionic/EL-34

Post by Thermionic/EL-34 »

Sounds okay but using Vai's name for notoriety is a stretch IMO.

And all the original Jose's ive heard don't have that much gain you seem to.

And Vai's amps arent PA heads, i could go on but i wont.
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Thermionic/EL-34 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 am Sounds okay but using Vai's name for notoriety is a stretch IMO.

And all the original Jose's ive heard don't have that much gain you seem to.

And Vai's amps arent PA heads, i could go on but i wont.
Well, it's the same type of Jose Mod that's in Vai's Amps. Most other Joses have a different circuit. These type of Joses have the most gain out of any of them and mine isn't any different from what Jose would have done, so the amount of gain is normal for that circuit.

Of course, Vai's aren't Super PAs, but it's about the mod, not about the exact amp the mod is in. That's why it's called "Vai Jose Mod" and not "exact recreation of Vai's Jose modded Marshall"

I only know of one other amp that has this type of Jose mod, and that's John Norum's old amp, so if someone watched Pete Thorn's video and wants to hear more amps with that style Jose Mod, they can find it.
Thermionic/EL-34

Each original ARRCO Arrendodo made amp was specific to the amp owner/customer.

Literally no 2 amps were that same and for you to make the claim your's is a "VAI" amp is a stretch at best.
You started with the Slash AFD thing & now your all of a sudden a "Jose" expert.
Vai's Jose's just surfaced like 3 months ago to the public ever for the first time in 35 years.

I find it impossible to believe you've "created" the same thing.

I can call myself the DOD Secretary of Defense but that doesn't make it so.

I calls it like i see's it.
Maybe you should concentrate on your own brand instead of marketing your stuff on the backs of Legends.The internet is full of marketing hype, yours is no different & pegs my very sensitive BS meter.

Your guitar playing doesn't do a thing for me.

EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

I am aware that every Jose was unique. It is about the type of Jose mod though. Vai's has the added parallel stage + the Push-Pull clipping Master Volume. I made a schematic of the parallel stage and had it confirmed by Dave Friedman.

This is what it says in my description of the newest video "This is my 1970 Marshall Super PA that I've modded with a variation on the Vai Jose circuit. "

And here in the first Vai Jose video
"This is my 1980 Marshall JMP Super Bass that I modded with a full Jose mod. I got the idea after watching Pete Thorn's video of Vai's Jose, where Dave Friedman described the mod in the amp, which was a style of Jose mod that I've never tried."

I've spent a long time researching and tweaking Jose Mods and the #36 and I am very clear that it is my version of the #36, as only Frank Levi knew the exact circuit, and maybe the handful of people who own a Levi #36 or have opened one up.
I have never stated that I created an exact copy of these circuits, that would be impossible without having a look inside the original amps.

You honestly just sound like a dick to me. I try to recreate these mods because I love their sound and know that many others do too. I also have my own mods and am going to work on new ones in a few weeks.

Attacking my guitar playing is also unnecessary, I'd like to hear you play better than me.
Roe

Post by Roe »

share the schematic please, otherwise I am not the least interested in this crap
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Roe wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm share the schematic please, otherwise I am not the least interested in this crap
Well then just leave this crap alone
Thermionic/EL-34

EddyLenz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm I am aware that every Jose was unique. It is about the type of Jose mod though. Vai's has the added parallel stage + the Push-Pull clipping Master Volume. I made a schematic of the parallel stage and had it confirmed by Dave Friedman.

This is what it says in my description of the newest video "This is my 1970 Marshall Super PA that I've modded with a variation on the Vai Jose circuit. "

"This is my 1980 Marshall JMP Super Bass that I modded with a full Jose mod. I got the idea after watching Pete Thorn's video of Vai's Jose, where Dave Friedman described the mod in the amp, which was a style of Jose mod that I've never tried."

I've spent a long time researching and tweaking Jose Mods and the #36 and I am very clear that it is my version of the #36, as only Frank Levi knew the exact circuit, and maybe the handful of people who own a Levi #36 or have opened one up.
I have never stated that I created an exact copy of these circuits, that would be impossible without having a look inside the original amps.

You honestly just sound like a dick to me. I try to recreate these mods because I love their sound and know that many others do too. I also have my own mods and am going to work on new ones in a few weeks.

Attacking my guitar playing is also unnecessary, I'd like to hear you play better than me.
Frank Levi {RIP} & I were friends, Frank was modding Marshalls in the 1970's while you were a gleam in your Dads eye. Frank never tried to be flashy of famous and neither did Mr. Arredondo, quite the opposite they were humble and reclusive, their work spoke for itself.
And Mr. Friedman & I have talked many times, he has done work for me.

Its like this man, i may sound like a dick to you but the fact remains you're trying to market yourself like a heavy weight when you have to earn my respect like anyone else, amps or no amps.

Be original, be authentic, word of mouth is the best reference you can have.
You try & associate your brand with HOF amp builders like you got proven credo and you do not.

You got to earn your way into the history book just like everyone else and that doesn't happen on youtube.
Ive seen your clips since last year and its nothing new or unique.

My MESA MK III combo would bury that amp without even getting the tubes hot.
Millennials how does that work ?
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

WOW

I don't think there is any chance of this member sharing his info after that ear bashing.

Well I think its a great sounding amp and would be very pleased if it was mine, I would comment on what I hear in the tone but don't want to start another squabble.

Great demo, thanks for sharing.
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

lovetone wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm WOW

I don't this there is any chance of this member sharing his info after that ear bashing.

Well I think its a great sounding amp and would be very pleased if it was mine, I would comment on what I hear in the tone but don't want to start another squabble.

Great demo, thanks for sharing.
Thanks, man!
I'm just not gonna post my stuff on this forum in the future...
EddyLenz

Post by EddyLenz »

Thermionic/EL-34 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm
EddyLenz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm I am aware that every Jose was unique. It is about the type of Jose mod though. Vai's has the added parallel stage + the Push-Pull clipping Master Volume. I made a schematic of the parallel stage and had it confirmed by Dave Friedman.

Frank Levi {RIP} & I were friends, Frank was modding Marshalls in the 1970's while you were a gleam in your Dads eye. Frank never tried to be flashy of famous and neither did Mr. Arredondo, quite the opposite they were humble and reclusive, their work spoke for itself.
And Mr. Friedman & I have talked many times, he has done work for me.

Its like this man, i may sound like a dick to you but the fact remains you're trying to market yourself like a heavy weight when you have to earn my respect like anyone else, amps or no amps.

Be original, be authentic, word of mouth is the best reference you can have.
You try & associate your brand with HOF amp builders like you got proven credo and you do not.

You got to earn your way into the history book just like everyone else and that doesn't happen on youtube.
Ive seen your clips since last year and its nothing new or unique.

My MESA MK III combo would bury that amp without even getting the tubes hot.
Millennials how does that work ?
I don't want the respect of someone who comes at me with stupid strawmen.

Trying to associate my brand with HOF amp builders, because I, like most people, started out with trying to get the sounds of records I love?

"Millennials how does that work"... you're ridiculous.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Ok, let's everybody cool their jets...

Thread locked for now