Ideal spot for FX loop in SE plexi build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

peckjed

Ideal spot for FX loop in SE plexi build

Post by peckjed »

Unfortunately I don’t have a schematic. I can try and draw up a layout sometime soon. However, the amp is a Fargen Mini Plex MKII. I removed the power scaling since it was pretty much useless and added in a mojotone buffered effects loop. It’s inserted between the treble and master volume pot. I know typically an effects loop can also be put at the PI tube but the SE amp doesn’t have that. Any other typical SE FX loop spots to try out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Ideal spot for FX loop in SE plexi build

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Wow those diodes floating in the air with B+ on them seems super dangerous... At a minimum I'd try to shrink tube over them all as much as possible so if they break free they have a lower chance of colliding with things and doing harm.
Also putting those cathode resistors right next to the cathode caps is probably a bit hot for them...

As for single ended, the only good place I'd think you can put it is either pre or post the tone stack to see which has the most/least impact. I don't know if it's got a cathode follower, if it does, probably post tone stack, because your effects loop might get loaded down by the tone stack itself?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

If I see correctly, the hovering double diodes are a high-voltage circuit coming from a power transformer. But then it is not clear how the HV-fuse is connected to this circuit (red wire). Apparently, this protect power tube only, and the rest of the circuit remains unprotected.
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

I was definitely going to move the diodes/shrink tube them (it was there as a placeholder to make sure everything was working).

The Cathode resistors was Bens handy work - he used to put the cap ON TOP of the resistor.

Any good way to identify a cathode follower?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

A couple things that you'll see on a cathode follower, the DC voltages at the cathode will be much higher than a normal tube, 70 to 100 vdc or more. Also there's no anode resistor, instead it comes straight off the B+.

They're quite commonly used to drive a tone stack so there's no loading down of the circuit by the stack. I found what I think was a schematic of the amp on hoffman amps, not sure it's the right one, but it does have a two tube setup, with a cathode follower into the tone stack that then would feed the SE output stage.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

peckjed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:40 pm I was definitely going to move the diodes/shrink tube them (it was there as a placeholder to make sure everything was working).

The Cathode resistors was Bens handy work - he used to put the cap ON TOP of the resistor.

Any good way to identify a cathode follower?
If this is a tubes up build, then putting the cathode cap on top of the resistor is actually a smart idea (heat rises).

Cathode followers do not have plate resistors--the plates are directly connected to B+.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Here's the thread I found with what 'seems' to be the schematic for this amp:
https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=17518.0

I see what seems likely in the post by silvergun maybe 10 or so posts in. There's this image:

It seems to me to be the schematic that might be right. That's the cathode follower style circuit on the right.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 pm Here's the thread I found with what 'seems' to be the schematic for this amp:
https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=17518.0

I see what seems likely in the post by silvergun maybe 10 or so posts in. There's this image:

It seems to me to be the schematic that might be right. That's the cathode follower style circuit on the right.

~Phil
That post is definitely about the same amp as mine. So if that were the case would it make it so the return of the FX loop either be at pin 8 of v2 (pre tone stack) or on the treble pot for post tone stack? (sorry if im confused)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

exactly right, I'd give both a listen, and see which sounds better, but I'm inclined to think after the wiper on the treble pot is going to be the best. Otherwise the job of the cathode follower is somewhat defeated before the tone stack and your effects loop is going to have to perform that job. It may not do it very well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:09 pm exactly right, I'd give both a listen, and see which sounds better, but I'm inclined to think after the wiper on the treble pot is going to be the best. Otherwise the job of the cathode follower is somewhat defeated before the tone stack and your effects loop is going to have to perform that job. It may not do it very well.

~Phil
I’ll give it a try. The issue I’m having is when I crank the volume (gain) knob the reverb/delay in the loop also gets a bit gritty. So I’d like to figure out a way to avoid that.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

peckjed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:09 pm exactly right, I'd give both a listen, and see which sounds better, but I'm inclined to think after the wiper on the treble pot is going to be the best. Otherwise the job of the cathode follower is somewhat defeated before the tone stack and your effects loop is going to have to perform that job. It may not do it very well.

~Phil
I’ll give it a try. The issue I’m having is when I crank the volume (gain) knob the reverb/delay in the loop also gets a bit gritty. So I’d like to figure out a way to avoid that.
That's likely due to the fact taht it's got a bit too much gain for the effects loop. You might want to see if there's any instructions that came with the effects loop to manage that, if not then someone smarter than me likely could tell you what size of pot you could use inline to dump some of the signal to ground to set the input gain level. I don't have enough experience to know more than that I'm pretty sure I don't know how you determine what size pot you'd need. I often see some cases where the gurus recommend 25k or 100k or 1M pots and I don't know how you really determine what's optimal.

I'd love to understand that better myself :D I 'think' it has to do with knowing what the impedance at that stage should be, and matching the full value of the pot to be equal to it... but not only am I not sure, but I don't know how you calculate that either :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:47 pm
peckjed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 pm

~Phil
That's likely due to the fact taht it's got a bit too much gain for the effects loop. You might want to see if there's any instructions that came with the effects loop to manage that, if not then someone smarter than me likely could tell you what size of pot you could use inline to dump some of the signal to ground to set the input gain level. I don't have enough experience to know more than that I'm pretty sure I don't know how you determine what size pot you'd need. I often see some cases where the gurus recommend 25k or 100k or 1M pots and I don't know how you really determine what's optimal.

I'd love to understand that better myself :D I 'think' it has to do with knowing what the impedance at that stage should be, and matching the full value of the pot to be equal to it... but not only am I not sure, but I don't know how you calculate that either :P

~Phil
Thanks for the responses! This is the manual for the mojotone: https://www.mojotone.com/products/effec ... =overwrite

I added the return trimpot per the instructions with a 1 meg pot. It didn’t mention anything about a send pot but I’d like to believe it’s possible?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

If nobody else responds, I'm sure you can give that a try, usually it is a kind of 'set it and forget it' thing, once you have a balanced input/output that's at unity, you're golden. you could possibly even hard wire in a voltage divider network instead once you find the right values?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh they even talk about adjusting the return gain in step 5 Modification (optional)

If you need to adjust the return gain you can change the 470k return gain but similarly you could reduce the send input level by adjusting the 10k at the send side... possible mods that may help tame that loops open loop gain so it's not coming into the effects with too much gain.
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

peckjed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:40 pm It’s inserted between the treble and master volume pot.
That's probably the best spot.