Help identifying this resistor please

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Governator

Help identifying this resistor please

Post by Governator »

Hi, I’m about to embark on a 2204 50 build and am looking at my current stock of components before I order the majority from VS. I have a whole bunch of 1/2w resistors in our old electronics spares (possibly from the 80s or 90s - I have no idea), but they look like they are carbon comps. I cracked one open to see the construction of it and you can see a spiral film under the outside crumbly material. Can anyone tell me if these are carbon comps or if they are something else? I’m looking to put some in the 50w build in the suggested locations in the 50w instructions.

Also, if these are some kind of hybrid carbon film resistor, would they be suitable to include in the build (noisy?) or should I get some Nos AB or carbon films? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Help identifying this resistor please

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That style definitely looks like carbon composite yes. The coil possibly is just not physically connected to anything and creates a 'jump' point for electrons, but I don't know for sure, I've never seen how they're constructed.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!