Dirty Harry 2

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Dirty Harry 2

Post by erwin_ve »

Let's start 2021 with a nice amp!
Last year I build Dirty Harry which was a kind of Jose mod Marshall. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33668

I really liked I could get from clean to dirty to metal with the same tonestack setting but different gain, volume and master settings.
So why not switchable pots? Made a pcb design, a frontplate design and some other goodies for the looks. I might get a less mirror like faceplate, with a more brushed alu look.
Work in progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Re: Dirty Harry 2

Post by ChopSauce »

8)

Would you mind telling me which resistors are these?
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

ChopSauce wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm 8)

Would you mind telling me which resistors are these?
You mean the brands: Nos Beyschlag, Piher, Draloric and a newer Xicon CF and Dale Rn65d somewhere.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

After waiting for a PT more than 1,5 months I finally finished the amp.
Testing went well, no plops when switching the relay.
In my previous build I had a different brand of silver mica which was sold out this time, the previous ones sound better so they are gonna be changed.
No dc heaters this time which also went well.
Only biggie is the frontplate lettering on the edges are not as visible due to the cab. Prototype update

I'm happy with the outcome for this proto.
Now get me a gig in these strange times!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

This second one is more sober, yet looking at least as efficient ... 8)

Like french use to say (translated version) "you already told too much or not enough" about silver mica cap brands ... :wink:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

VERY cool!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 pm This second one is more sober, yet looking at least as efficient ... 8)

Like french use to say (translated version) "you already told too much or not enough" about silver mica cap brands ... :wink:
Sober yes. A Jtm45 chassis was used, that chassis is smaller with more knobs so less room for fancy faceplate items.

That French saying : I guess there is more to share on the silver mica. The previous Dirty Harry had CD 19 series silver mica. This time I had Tad and for the 2700p bright some unknown brand blue color sm. That blue one has real nasty overtones.
Conclusion is that the yellow sm cd19 is a better choice, no weird overtones, just a good cap.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Reeltarded wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:14 amVERY cool!
Thank you Miles:
I had so much fun reading your posts and besides the fun there actually were quite a lot of informative posts on Marshall stuff that I tried. Clippers were somewhat new to me and your posts helped a lot !

Erwin
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

erwin_ve wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:03 am
Reeltarded wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:14 amVERY cool!
Thank you Miles:
I had so much fun reading your posts and besides the fun there actually were quite a lot of informative posts on Marshall stuff that I tried. Clippers were somewhat new to me and your posts helped a lot !

Erwin
Your choice of the 45 format is loveable. That is most of what I have done.. the silver mica question is also revealing. (or in this case stringent and splatty) I love that amp. I would love to hear it mid volume where the output is awake but the frontend can do all its things.

The thing about the eq curve holding through gain settings is my target. I like it when everything about the amp stays put.

Good stuff. Glad something I did helped you too.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

CD19 silver mica caps as bright caps are in, massive difference!
Lowered the B4 stage voltage (for the entrance triode and the following triode stage) which make it a little juicier to play.
Balance pot for the PI set, bias is about 60% at 449v.
Even on low volume the amp has nice sustain and feedback abilities, almost like a Dumble :D
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

we are all moving toward infinity and the evolution of all amps ends at a singularity

im not kidding

:)
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 pm we are all moving toward infinity and the evolution of all amps ends at a singularity

im not kidding

Im fine with that :D as long as it doesnt end with a big bang.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I hate to tell you.. in 10^70 years, when all of the entropy has been swallowed by the ultra massive black holes, at a time when the black holes have evaporated completely as simple ionized particles speeding through virtual nothingness at near the speed of light, and in a kind of region that comes to an absolute ground state.. those particles entering those regions are now in violation of the collapsed second law of thermo dynamics, blowing through an existential speed trap where the limit is nearer to zero than 300,000km/ps...

i have other news that is pretty good though.. i saved over 300% by firing geico.
didit

Post by didit »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:45 am
Reeltarded wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 pm we are all moving toward infinity and the evolution of all amps ends at a singularity

im not kidding

Im fine with that :D as long as it doesnt end with a big bang.
Space-time gets well & truly dilated; such that you really won't notice all, and so won't care.