Slightly smaller nfb resistor.

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Steveo

Slightly smaller nfb resistor.

Post by Steveo »

Anyone here experiment with slightly smaller nfb resistors in there marshall 2204? Im thinking of going from 47k on the 8ohm tap to a 39k or something.

Would that make much a difference?

I know going to the 16ohm tap is more the norm to stiffen things up or even going to a 22k i believe.

Im trying to balance a great tight metal rhythm tone with a nice not too stiff lead tone in my amp.

Thanks
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Slightly smaller nfb resistor.

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I guess if wanted, you could put a POT inline there in that spot and play with that to find the spot you like, measure it and see. (used as a variable resistor just between wiper and one lug) Just make sure you leave at least some feedback resistor there like a 20k pot and a 10k resistor inline? I don't know the overall impact, but lowering that means you'll get more negative feedback which should increase the clean headroom more... Most of the 'tone tweaking' is often done more with coupling cap values, or cathode cap values instead... that or just adjusting the tone stack to fit a specific style you're looking for? Even better might be to use an eq pedal in front of the amp to shape the tone there?

Your call obviously as to how you attack it...

That's part of the fun of tinkering.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Steveo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:23 pmAnyone here experiment with slightly smaller nfb resistors in there marshall 2204? Im thinking of going from 47k on the 8ohm tap to a 39k or something.
Would that make much a difference?
I know going to the 16ohm tap is more the norm to stiffen things up or even going to a 22k i believe.

If you have a 47k from the 8 ohm tap, moving the FB wire to the 16 ohm tap or reducing the 47k to a 33k should have about the same effect.
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Cool thanks all ill try it, maybe a switch.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The question is if when your doing leads are you actually driving the amp hard enough to drain / use up all of the feedback voltage?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

^^^ also that

i hate when i lose the face in the nfb collapse
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Stevem wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 pm The question is if when your doing leads are you actually driving the amp hard enough to drain / use up all of the feedback voltage?
Yeah i dont know.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It works almost like a brite cap on a gain knob, ya know?

The NFB on most of my amps is fully collapsed with the master near or at 80% rotation. It starts coming apart just over 70%.

Set it in the boosted lead sound and hammer notes while slowly backing out of the master. You will hear that curve. It's good to know about what it does to the sound. I am going off the topic but on it.. so, the eq setup (slope) is so shallow at 33-56k most frequencies hit the line at the same gain. This line is the NFB.. I use a deeper slope value (generally) and use my master volume to work the eq curve along the NFB collapse where the mids are late to the party.. with the bass and treble slipping into the curve.

It took like 40 years to discover that I don't like power tube breakup. lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Ive never tried that, the amp is crazy loud. I ended up installing a coupling cap selector switch instead. Just a .0022 (my original more marshally tone) switched in with another parallel .0022 pio (slightly thicker lead tone) when i want. Its on V1B. I loved the .0033 for leads but not so much for rhythm, low notes a little flabby. I added gain to the amp earlier and it seems tone tweaks are more sensitive than they used to be especially coupling caps concerning low end. I might mess with the nfb resistor later but it does feel and sound good right now so i dont want to mess that up but tweaking never ends.