Transformers for a 50W Plexi (in Europe)

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Emiel

Transformers for a 50W Plexi (in Europe)

Post by Emiel »

I'm thinking of having a friend build me a 50W Plexi (1968-1969 spec).

The only question mark are the transformers. The European ones (modern Dagnall, TAD, Inmadout etc) don't seem as highly regarded as their American counterparts by Heyboer, Metropoulos, Marstran and Merren.

Are there any worthy European substitutes, or should I stick to the American brands?
pdf64

Re: Transformers for a 50W Plexi (in Europe)

Post by pdf64 »

I’m sure they’re great, but the USA transformer builders are rather expensive, and that’s before shipping and tax are piled on.
There’s TubeTown in Germany (probably inmadout), Modulus in the UK, also Luke at Transformer Equipment could build one to your spec, for maybe 1/3 of the cost of one from the USA.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Emiel wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm I'm thinking of having a friend build me a 50W Plexi (1968-1969 spec).

The only question mark are the transformers. The European ones (modern Dagnall, TAD, Inmadout etc) don't seem as highly regarded as their American counterparts by Heyboer, Metropoulos, Marstran and Merren.

Are there any worthy European substitutes, or should I stick to the American brands?
Highly regarded by who? Certainly as highly praised as they are rare on our side of the Ocean - or something like that - but beyond... :?:

I can't believe there is no alternative to be found in UK / from Modulus... :?
Emiel

Post by Emiel »

Only, now the UK is no longer part of the EU, that'll mean import taxes apply to UK transformers as well.

Modulus by the way seem to offer reproductions of the late '70s/early '80s style transformers but not so much the late '60s JMP ones.

For this build I'd like to get as close as possible in term of specs. The TAD's seems to have the right specs (OT based on 784-139 & PT on 1202-118), I just asked them which company makes this OT:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/output ... 6-ohm?c=57
Alnico

Post by Alnico »

Emiel wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:07 am Only, now the UK is no longer part of the EU, that'll mean import taxes apply to UK transformers as well.
But you won't be paying UK VAT (assuming you buy from a VAT-registered supplier), so not much difference overall. I think I read somewhere that the Modulus transformers are made by Dagnall, but I'll try to confirm that.

I've bought PTs direct from Demeter Windings and Majestic, which was much cheaper than the likes of Modulus and TAD. If you support the notion that paper coil formers are essential to a good OT, then you have to look to the US.
adew

Post by adew »

Alnico wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 pm I think I read somewhere that the Modulus transformers are made by Dagnall, but I'll try to confirm that.
The Modulus PT and OT I purchased for a 50W JCM800 build last year were labelled Dagnall.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Emiel

Post by Emiel »

Yes, that'll do! Thanks all!

I just ordered a Dagnall 784-139 spec OT and C1999 choke. For the 1202-118 PT I'll be using the Tube-Town (Inmadout).