So, I built an amp..

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

So, I built an amp..

Post by Reeltarded »

I built a silly amp with every terrible hi-fi idea ever imagined.

Don't do that. We build guitar amps. We don't like hi-fi.

Don't be afraid.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ChopSauce

Re: So, I built an amp..

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm hooked by fear... :wink:
(even though I am not likely to catch many subtleties ... :) )
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

A very balanced output section makes a huge difference. I had some weird goals to begin with and that was all that mattered.

It is like a room in the amp that the preamp plays into... it's has this strange space like recording a great signal path onto fresh 2 inch and playing back through a big Neve. You can hear it in the idle hiss before you even touch the guitar. There is this really hard to describe atmospheric thing..

Spacious and dimensional.

I bet I can't do this again. I can't get these transformers anymore and I have a feeling this is happy accident meets thinking and tinkering forever.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bepone

Post by bepone »

many big guitar output transformers can also pass for the hi-fi use so..also for the resistors and capacitors..you will have really good clean tone (drive maybe not :P ).. Dc heaters are not a problem.. what remains, direct coupling, tubes close to the input jacks so cables are short, also good..many people on the world are building hi-fi and guitar amps, in paralell on the same table :P
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:57 am A very balanced output section makes a huge difference. I had some weird goals to begin with and that was all that mattered.

It is like a room in the amp that the preamp plays into... it's has this strange space like recording a great signal path onto fresh 2 inch and playing back through a big Neve. You can hear it in the idle hiss before you even touch the guitar. There is this really hard to describe atmospheric thing..

Spacious and dimensional.

I bet I can't do this again. I can't get these transformers anymore and I have a feeling this is happy accident meets thinking and tinkering forever.
Detail more?

Best .. Ian
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

if there's no pictures Miles it doesn't exist...... :mrgreen:

M
didit

Post by didit »

norburybrook wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:50 am if there's no pictures Miles it doesn't exist...... :mrgreen:
Pictures, hah ... ? We also, in this case, require a few clear recordings; presumably off that Neve and Ampex.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's like this.. the thing has instabilities with all gain controls dimed. It will not react the same way otherwise.

The power section is super balanced and I came to it by plugging numbers in the amp tools calulator.

The pi is big C's and small R's.

The 4 stages are hot. 4 is big plate/big bypass. 3 is bigger plate/big bypass, big coupler. 2 is 100k/big bypass/big coupler

1 is a basic Tweed setup like a Deluxe, including the single tone control, 500p coupler. 6 position brite (null/100p/250p/500p/1kp/2k2p) oops and 220k plate.

the first three stages have their own gain controls. << this is VERY important. You can make the amp react like any amp you ever felt under your fingers. I can't stress how much this means. Staging gain to make the backend light up first or every other possibility makes the amp do what the player prefers.

The splitters are to taste on how far into the sing you want the amp to start with.

Voltages are Marshallish if you look at a GZ34 JTM 50 but add a node for V1 just like a more modern amp. All filters are 50u.

RES and PRES. The tone stack is last. You pick. It has 6 position slope. lowest is around 47k-150k ish.

This amp setup same power string as the monsterfied 800 it has been puts out around 65w. In this setup I dump enough gain across the stages to bring it to more around a real 45-50w spl. It won't kill you. It's VERY pleasing straight into my cabs or pounding a Palmer.

Have you ever wished you could make your amp do an honest 1974 recorded sound? Do you like Korn? How about Steely Dan? Does your strat not do Sultans of Swing? Did you ever like Bowie or any period of Stones? Do you like Robin Trower or Deep Purple? Every era and a super close aproximation of Aerosmith, Jeff Beck..

Beatles? It's also Voxy when you want.

Jimmy Page? What day? Yes. It does all that.. you moderate gain 2 and 3 and you hit them with the first stage. Sounds like a tiny singled ended piece of junk that weighs about 1000 pounds. Celebration Day or Since I've Been.. it even sounds like an 1176 bashing a console.

Do you like jazz? Insane with a 355 and even a LP can fake archtop territory..

Bright tele chicky picky bouncing squeezy dripping butter smooth any edge of breakup you can imagine. This described topology makes all that. You pick actual values. What do you want the amp to center on?

I have one more thing that is a secret and one more thing that is a secret. I am not trying to be a dick, one idea was secreted to me, and another is just a secret I accidented into.. it's about this particular amp though.

Conjunctive filtering OUTPUT at 8khz. Lead dress tweaked around with another inch here and there.

It would normally be simple to take a pic, but someone helped me close it up, and from the pictures you would never know what the hell is going on in there. I am honestly not capable of opening it up myself.

Scribble out what I said and have fun picking values. Let each gain have enough headroom to drive the next stage into sing. You wont like them all dimed. A novice would rather die than imagine the operation. It's so.. exactly what I needed everytime I flip the switch.

whew enough typos to make a whole new thread.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Miles,

That's the most verbose you've been in a long time :mrgreen: I still want to see a picture of ....something......

M
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

ok!

The first pair of Derrigs. I took this photo.
D123F4D2-7B20-4C82-8F68-5D439FA29E99.jpeg
This is the last moments of Geena Davis' career.
E27D9B34-B591-4A32-91C1-E60190D2E6FC.jpeg
Meh. I m not really feeling lucky.
4E88136A-6190-4E4E-8D49-964041D7FC2D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 pm This is the last moments of Geena Davis' career.

That was the funniest thing I've read on the internet today. Thanks.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You are always welcome and we will meet in a similar way just about any old time that these people demand anything from me. I don't even know these people.

gahh
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

professormudd wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 pm This is the last moments of Geena Davis' career.

That was the funniest thing I've read on the internet today. Thanks.

yep..I agree.....

glad you're back Miles. The spider episode seems to have had no long lasting side effects to your sense of humour :)

M
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

humor is like an old toy.. you see it on the shelf and you revisit that similar feeling. i have stayed away as much because i didn't want to be a bummer.

widow bite, catastrophic fall including severe brain trauma.. partially umm.. less able. covid isolation.. rapacious advertizing..

i might be immortal which would be very unfortunate because i am not indestructible hahaha