What do these Friedman mods in the Smallbox do?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VintageCharlie

What do these Friedman mods in the Smallbox do?

Post by VintageCharlie »

Hi everyone,

i do like how the Friedman Smallbox plexi (clean) channel sounds a lot. It sounds like a lead spec Marshall but without some of the aspects of rawness/scratchiness that i do not like personally.
Looking at the schematic it looks like for the most part it is a lead spec Marshall, similar to e.g. a 1968 lead, but with lower filtering (32uF for the most part, 16uF in the preamp), which is also something i like - makes it squishier and saggier.
These are the main changes that i find:
- fizz cap increased from 47pF to 100pF (filters out more high end i guess)
- both sides of the PI coupling caps are .022uF (less bass, more even PI response?)
- bypass cap on V2A is 22uF instead of .68uF (more gain in all frequencys, not just mids/high mids?)

And then there are these 2 500pF caps that i have not seen on any Marshall schematic (please see attachment). I have no clue what they do?
I would guess they might help with some filtering? (I am guessing this because the amp is noticeably less shrill than some Marshalls tend to be).

Thanks for any input!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: What do these Friedman mods in the Smallbox do?

Post by sluckey »

They are both anti-shrill caps. :)
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

VintageCharlie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:24 pm
- both sides of the PI coupling caps are .022uF (less bass, more even PI response?)
When heavily overdriven, having the same time constants on both grids may help the LTP to recover more evenly, and, in the case of the common grid side, 5 times faster.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

I bought a used PT and that little head I’d really sounds good.I would love to hear the combo. :D Thanks
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/