NOS Mallory film caps for 2204 type build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

NOS Mallory film caps for 2204 type build

Post by pjd3 »

Hi there, would love to hear what ya gat to say about this.

A I'm preparing a lower power Marshall 2204 combo type build, I decided to take a closer look at a good selection of NOS capacitors that were gifted to me originally owned by a deceased EE.

They appear to be mostly Mallory's with values ranging from around .001uF to .047uF. They are those big and dipped looking film type caps that I've seen in photos of vintage amps, and come in 600V, 400v and 200v, some 100v.

Are these new/old Mallories something that you would consider using in a new 2204 build and expect good performance and longevity? I testing these caps on a scope in a little RC circuit to see how they've maintained their value, and while a few of those tended to be a little on the high side of their tolerance, I was left pretty confident that they were still quite in the ballpark as a whole. I coupled each cap with a hand picked 1K ohm metal film resistor used a square wave to measure the 63% amplitude, used the cursors to measure the RC time constant and calculate the capacitance with the old T/R = C.

Would you use these old unused Mallory film caps in your Marshall builds?

Thanks, and looking forward to your input,
Best,
Phil Donovan
I’m only one person (most of the time)
ChopSauce

Re: NOS Mallory film caps for 2204 type build

Post by ChopSauce »

Certainly, yet I am not sure what these "beauties" look like exactly.
pjd3

Re: NOS Mallory film caps for 2204 type build

Post by pjd3 »

Hey Chop sauce,

Lets me see about getting a couple of photos up here today.

thanks for coming by.

Best,
Phil D
I’m only one person (most of the time)