Need help with TAD 18-watt TMB Build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BenTobith

Need help with TAD 18-watt TMB Build

Post by BenTobith »

Hi everyone! I’m looking for some assistance with my TAD 18-watt TMB build.

I’ve mostly completed the work, but just as I started to do some “safe” AC testing, I ran into issues (started seeing smoke from PT, and so immediately shut it down). Additionally, my mains/power switch seems to be backwards (ON is OFF/OFF is ON). Not sure about Standby switch.

Here’s the schematic and layout for my build and the power transformer.

I bring up the PT because I’m wondering if this amp is actually capable of working at 120VAC (or if it is 240VAC only)? I was told by someone previously it would work, and that moving some wires around was all that was needed, but based on the smoke signals I am second guessing everything.

Long-story short, here are my open questions or areas of need:

1. Is my PT capable of being wired for 120VAC? If so, how would I modify the layout to do this?

2. If not, would the Hammond 290PAZ be the direct swap?

3. And if I do need a different PT, and the Hammond above is workable: How would I re-wire things between the PT, Mains switch, Standby switch, Fuse holder, IEC, and Indicator lamp successfully?

A few other notes:
  • The indicator lamp is a neon bulb and uses 120VAC, so that would have to be factored into the wiring plan.
  • The Mains and Standby switches are DPST (2 terminals/lugs on “top” and 2 on “bottom,” depending how the switch is flipped or set). They look like these.
ChopSauce

Re: Need help with TAD 18-watt TMB Build

Post by ChopSauce »

I don't understand the TAD layout thing ... :?

As far as I can see from the doc, the PT seems ok for the job. Just omit the red (leave it alone and isolated or on a terminal strip appart) and connect the black and white wires only. White to live and black to neutral ideally.

Look for another schematic that you can understand for wiring the mains including the power switch, the pilot light and the fuse. If you don't understand the schematic, assume it is wrong until someone definitely convinces you that it is not.
(including me!)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Changes to the layout for 120V would be as shown below. Just un-solder your power switch and rotate it 180 degrees to get "on" to be "on."

If your PT is toast, Hammond 290PAZ is their 18W replacement. The windings match the TAD diagram, with nearly the same lead colors (compare the diagrams), but check the mounting dimensions to be sure it will fit in your chassis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BenTobith

Post by BenTobith »

martin manning wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:32 am Changes to the layout for 120V would be as shown below. Just un-solder your power switch and rotate it 180 degrees to get "on" to be "on."

If your PT is toast, Hammond 290PAZ is their 18W replacement. The windings match the TAD diagram, with nearly the same lead colors (compare the diagrams), but check the mounting dimensions to be sure it will fit in your chassis.
Thank you!
Craig B

Post by Craig B »

"White to live and black to neutral ideally" NOT IN THE USA!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Craig B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:14 pm "White to live and black to neutral ideally" NOT IN THE USA!
That is a NEC rule that applies to buildings, houses, and other infrastructure wiring. But the NEC does not set rules for wiring inside an amp (although many manufacturers follow that convention even though it is not required). If you look at the diagram for that particular PT, you'll see that the statement is correct for that particular PT.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Craig B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:14 pm "White to live and black to neutral ideally" NOT IN THE USA!
Do you mean that the colour code for the transformer is the opposite of the usual one ?
(just curious)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:05 pm
Do you mean that the colour code for the transformer is the opposite of the usual one ?
(just curious)
Per sluckey's clarification, it seems like the transformer windings are opposite of what wall wiring is in the USA. In the USA, Black is live, and white is neutral inside the house wiring. This transformer expects to be connected live to white and neutral to black to keep the phase 'right' for the transformer... definitely an odd decision, but they could follow some other transformer manufacturers and make both black :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The transformer doesn’t care which is hot, and the phasing is not important since there is a single primary winding. As you mentioned, often both leads are the same color. The only thing that matters is that the fuse and switch are on the hot side, and here both sides are switched.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:04 pm definitely an odd decision, but they could follow some other transformer manufacturers and make both black :D
Having two black wires on that primary would be very confusing. Which black wire would you pick to connect for 240V operation? :mrgreen:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I don't mean with this specific, and I might be remembering wrong, but some transformer I had once... had only one primary winding, and the primary side was all black, it was ONLY 120V... but maybe i'm confusing primary with secondary... maybe?

hehe.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

When there is only one primary winding and no taps, ie, only two wires, it's very common to see two blacks.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Well I'm glad I'm not losing it too fast :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:47 pm Having two black wires on that primary would be very confusing. Which black wire would you pick to connect for 240V operation? :mrgreen:
I've been tempted to make another joke above this one but refrained for this could have added even more confusion... :lol:
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 am
sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:47 pm Having two black wires on that primary would be very confusing. Which black wire would you pick to connect for 240V operation? :mrgreen:
I've been tempted to make another joke above this one but refrained for this could have added even more confusion... :lol:
Oh come on. Give it up. :wink: