Michael Landau amp resistor identification?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FuzzFaceBuilder

Michael Landau amp resistor identification?

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Hey all,

I’m looking at this 50 W once owned by Michael Landau. Can you guys help me identify the cathode value of the first stage? I’m reading it as 2.74K. Red-violet-yellow-brown-brown-red. Though the violet band is hard to see on the blue casing.

Even at that, the Rp-Rk ratio is 1/18.5, 100K/5K4!

What do you guys see?

Thanks!
DD6C3C19-B830-4F0D-884F-2CEF628D3138.jpeg
AB58DCCF-9630-45A6-BEC4-F893BA80C70F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FuzzFaceBuilder on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
martin manning

Re: Michael Landau amp resistor identification?

Post by martin manning »

I agree.
FuzzFaceBuilder

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Martin,

Thanks for the confirmation!
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

When the fourth band is red, it indicates 2 percent tolerance. This would replace the gold (5 percent) or silver (10 percent) tolerance band.

If there is a fifth band and it is yellow, that is a mil-spec marking indicating the established reliability category of the resistor.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:47 am When the fourth band is red, it indicates 2 percent tolerance. This would replace the gold (5 percent) or silver (10 percent) tolerance band.

If there is a fifth band and it is yellow, that is a mil-spec marking indicating the established reliability category of the resistor.
That's not true for this 6 band resistor. The first three bands are just numbers. The fourth band is the multiplier. The fifth band is the tolerance. And the sixth band is reliability.

So this red-vio-yel-brn-brn-red is 2740Ω 1% 50PPM

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/co ... color-code
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

I was thinking more of four band color codes. Obviously there are several color codes and even though I started learning electronics, beginning with resistor color codes, 46 years ago, there are times when I still have to refer to a cheat sheet. "Is that a mil spec high reliability resistor or a precision resistor with more significant digits? " Such as a 234.1K 1 percent resistor...which code series would you expect that to be?

It can still be confusing.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:51 am Such as a 234.1K 1 percent resistor...which code series would you expect that to be?
Have you actually seen this resistor or did you just make up that value? If it exists it would probably make more sense to stamp the numbers on the resistor rather than use a color code.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

It’s not going to get close to cold clipping. You’re only going to put about 100mV on the grid and even if you boosted the heck out of it, V1 has the last chance of clipping. It usually has an OUTPUT VOLTAGE swing of only 5volts. The 2.7k is to reduce gain.