Jose modded Steve Vai Marshall

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ledvedder5150

Jose modded Steve Vai Marshall

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Does anyone have any information on the mods in this amp? I'm about to start a 50w Plexi build, and I'd love to incorporate these into it. Schematic? Layout?

Mod Edit: Fixed youtube link
Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/ungluedband
Reeltarded

Re: Jose modded Steve Vai Marshall

Post by Reeltarded »

this is so much easier.

Add a stage, copy the bright channel. This drives the internally jumped channels (when that stage control is pulled) Add a CF master. Add a simple master.
Last edited by Reeltarded on Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

CF master is the far left control. Added stage has volume at inputs. I know this amp has a simple master as well, but unsure where the control is.

If you are looking (or listening) for a classic "what does the 80s want?" amp, this is your amp. It's a very simple mod, beyond adding a tube.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bmx

Post by bmx »

Yeah, that's about how I understand it.
1)Take a Plexi
2)add a 12ax7, but only use 1/2
3)make a bright channel to cascade into the plexi and put the "jumpered channels" on the push pull switch to jumper them.
4)install DPDT push pull 1M master volume. configure the DPDT to swap the master volume before or after the tonestack. Often the before tonestack setting has the diode clipping, but that's not everyones cup of tea, so I skip it anymore.

Here is a crazy af vutshot of one of the dlr era Jose modded Marshall's:
DLR era jose modded marshall for Vai found on reverb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You should add the simple master after the tone stack on a separate control... monsterous at around 7+7.. its like free steaks.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Here's a link to what Miles described.

Mark Fowler brought this info to us. It might not be exactly what Steve VaI has, but this amp is a beast. I built one for my kid, but I still have it because His music taste changed
He loves the Funk sound now... the weirdo :mrgreen:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=60

the whole thread has a sound link and schematic, good reading
good luck
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

musical tastes changing? oh no. he's fallen in with the wrong crowd. rib him and tell him to youtube 'funky bunch'..

:lol:
bmx

Post by bmx »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:11 am You should add the simple master after the tone stack on a separate control... monsterous at around 7+7.. its like free steaks.
Totally agree here! I think you have perceptive ears