#34 - #36

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

#34 - #36

Post by dorrisant »

This is my attempt at melding these two circuits in one chassis. I want to use a push pull switch to engage relays that switch the amp from #36 to #34.

Here are the two schematics and a layout:
sir36mod_190.pdf
sir34mod_150.pdf
#34 and #36 Preamp.png
I realize this has been done before by others. That said, you guys may see errors in my ways. Feel free to point them out. I guess the difference here is that I added a Slope control, for two reasons - 1) It is a great mod for most amps. if you have not tried it, you should. 2) It blocks dc going to the tone stack allowing the treble cap to be switch in parallel for the two values needed.

I will correct anything that you might deem worthy of changing and repost here until it settles out. I will make a schematic at some point and post it back here when it is confirmed.

I used this drawing for a very rough reference:
#36 AFD v2.jpg
Maybe I got ahead of myself a bit but I have already made a board set for this... fingers crossed! It has got to be close enough, right ?!? This set is going to go into a Randall BMF that has been modified quite a bit already.

Anyway, feel free to critique this layout and let me know if you are interested in boards. I can make them anytime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Re: #34 - #36

Post by dorrisant »

For some reason I had trouble attaching the pictures of the board set... oh well.
20220419_131221.jpg
Board on bottom right is a proto version of a relay supply with regulator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

dorrisant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:17 pm For some reason I had trouble attaching the pictures of the board set... oh well.

20220419_131221.jpg

Board on bottom right is a proto version of a relay supply with regulator.
Hi Dorrisant. I always wanted to build a slash style build like this whenever I get the time which seems like never these days LOL.

I had a question about your Send Return knobs on your effects loop. Is this loop actually buffered by a gain stage from one of the triodes or is this passive and the knobs are just there to bleed off some of the signal?
I am asking because I find that when I bleed signal to ground here, with a passive loop, I find the signal loses some much needed gain afterwards. But maybe on this amp it doesn't matter as much.

Cheers
Guy
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

What I used was the BMF's original tube effects loop. Not passive, both send and return are buffered. I couldn't see removing this from the circuit. There is too much hype over putting active loops in this type of amp for there to not be anything to it. I have used the Mojo style solid state loops with great results before, but tube seems to be the way to go... for me at least.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Some update pics...
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I had to relocate the preamp sockets to the other side of the board... 12v Radio Shack TX and relay power supply board were installed.