50w build started, can someone check by heater wiring/routing before I continue

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Governator

50w build started, can someone check by heater wiring/routing before I continue

Post by Governator »

Hi, I’ve finally commenced my 50w 2204 build, I’ve ran the heater wiring as per the VS instructions and was just hoping to see if someone could verify my wiring is all ok before I continue.

My last 18w build I did I ran the pin 9 black wiring over the top of the socket instead of around like in the VS instructions, the 18w forum they seemed to swear by going over the top to reduce hum.

I’m not looking to be 100% period correct look as I’m doing some mods (V2a cathode switch, resonance pot, NFB switch, effects loop). I just want to be sure what I’ve done is ok since it will be raider to redo now than later (won’t be so easy as I’ve used 18G for the heater wiring - overkill I know, but I’m an electrician so I always go bigger if I can).

Also, I’m using the Larry grounding method. There isn’t very good conductivity due to the anodised coating on the steel chassis, what do you typically do at the grounding points - sand/dremmel the coating off at each ground lug? I’m using the VS chassis and washers kit with the screws, lock washers, ect.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Governator on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Re: 50w build started, can someone check by heater wiring/routing before I continue

Post by xtian »

You're getting good advice on TGP. No need to crosspost.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
wpaulvogel

Re: 50w build started, can someone check by heater wiring/routing before I continue

Post by wpaulvogel »

There’s nothing at all wrong with the conductivity of the chassis coating. Use star washers and steel machine screws (stainless preferably) the brass stuff breaks before I get it tight enough for grounding. I’ve used at least 40 of these chassis’s over the last 5 years and no problem.
Governator

Post by Governator »

xtian wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:57 pm You're getting good advice on TGP. No need to crosspost.
Haha yes u got me, yes but there are some awesome experts in here, I was also wondering about the chassis coating for grounding points.
Governator

Post by Governator »

wpaulvogel wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:04 pm There’s nothing at all wrong with the conductivity of the chassis coating. Use star washers and steel machine screws (stainless preferably) the brass stuff breaks before I get it tight enough for grounding. I’ve used at least 40 of these chassis’s over the last 5 years and no problem.
That is great to know, thankyou!