50W build started - I might use this thread for questions as I go?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Governator

50W build started - I might use this thread for questions as I go?

Post by Governator »

Hi, I’ve started my 50w build - it’s a 1987 bright channel switchable to 2204. Its my third amp build but I might use this thread to ask some questions as I go if that’s ok. I posted this over at the Metroamp forum as well but didn’t get a response, I don’t think it gets much traffic these days. I’ve sourced most of the parts from valvestorm (their stuff is top notch!) and APD MM choke and Heyboer OT, still waiting to get a APD Heyboer PT.

- in the below pics I’ve left a little loop on each of the wires on the under side of the board, is this ok? Or should I just have the wires come straight out from the board?

- what is the easiest: populating the board with components before or after installing the board into the chassis? My last two builds the populated the board first, then installed it, had no issues. However, the Metroamp instructions has it as installing the board first then populating with components.

- with the dual 32/32uf pre amp filter on the board, should this be resting on the board? The 10k 2w resistor that runs beside it will only just reach the turrets, what is the absolute minimum length of lead that is get away with down the turret hole? I’m hoping approx 3mm or so is enough.

- the 10k V1a cathode resistor leads won’t reach between the turrets on the board, what is a nice neat way to install this? A piece of joined bus won’t look the greatest, but I can’t think of too many other options.

Thanks, any help or advice greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Re: 50W build started - I might use this thread for questions as I go?

Post by dcribbs1412 »

My 2 cents(not sure what that is with todays inflation :) )
You have some good iron, leads look good. I populate outside of chassis, secure caps to boards with good zip ties or RTV silicone.
as far as short leads here's a link to some ideas
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10451
Should be a rocking amp.

D