JMP 50 Popping Sound

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sluckey

Re: JMP 50 Popping Sound

Post by sluckey »

bepone wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:12 am :lol: :lol:
it is not permanent , to everybody is clear. it is here to block DC from the cathode and see if the popping is from silver mica. after the wire will be returned back to pin 8.
Pulling the tube is much easier.
Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

bepone wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:12 am :lol: :lol:
it is not permanent , to everybody is clear. it is here to block DC from the cathode and see if the popping is from silver mica. after the wire will be returned back to pin 8.
Thanks! I installed new silver mica but it did not make any changes either.

Edit: I chopsticked the amp again but can’t reproduce the sound at all. It still comes randomly. I got too frustrated and decided to record just a little bit of the amp, so you can hear that it is actually working quite well. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Maybe you can build an amp stethoscope...? If you don't have an oscilloscope, the stethoscope will let you listen to the signal path and find where it goes wrong.

https://el34world.com/Hoffman/tools.htm
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Riffmonster

Post by Riffmonster »

Good idea, thanks! I’ll check that out.

For now, it seems that I got super lucky. I installed a PPIMV and I believe the noise is gone now. I only played for like 15 minutes but it did not appear. Let’s see if it comes back. Many thanks to you all of you for the help!!

Edit: it’s still there :(