Putting 5150 OT into Superlead?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Nickerz

Putting 5150 OT into Superlead?

Post by Nickerz »

I'm having trouble finding specs for this OT, but the best I can find is 2.1k\3.3k. I basically want a "wideband" or "hifi" style OT to put into a superlead but I'd like to grab something with a notable sonic signature in high gain territory. This brings to mind Mark III (early recto), SLO (which I do not particularily like), Framus Cobra (SLO clone), 5150 (SLO clone) and 5153. I think 5150s record really well and I understand that it's a large part the preamp but this is in one of those MTS heads which are basically Superleads with a rack system built into the front. I swapped in a JCM800 OT and that went perfect and was a huge step up from the factory iron, only because it was voiced more modern than what I want.

But now I'm full circle and want to build one that is more modern. Both the 5153 and 5150 are ideal tonally and I'm 100% okay using 6L6 with them. The factory head allows 6L6, EL34 & pretty much all varieties including 6550 with a special bias circuit. But as I understand it the 5150 OTs hate anything that isn't a 6L6.