marshall sv20h hand wired clone

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

audiosalvage

marshall sv20h hand wired clone

Post by audiosalvage »

I was curious if anyone has tried to hand wire an sv 20. Seeing that they want soo much for them, I may clone one have a class 5 here that I've been messing with and the quality of the innards is shockingly cheap. I'm not sure if the sv is the same, but I can do better for that price. Thoughts?
Reeltarded

Re: marshall sv20h hand wired clone

Post by Reeltarded »

Have you played one? They sound ok for a $500 amp.

:o
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

That's what I mean, I could not see spending that kind of dough. I have experience building amps and I'm looking for a low watt hot rod plexi amp
romberg

Post by romberg »

Why not just build a 50w 1987? It would probably be cheaper and easier to find transformers for a 1987 than the 20 watt thing. The 50 watter would only be a few decibels louder than the 20 watt. And neither one would really be a bedroom amp (even at 5 watts). For sure a hand built 1987 would be a nicer amp than the PCB thing.

Mike
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mike knows what up!

Another idea is cathode biased output at around 50% instead of fixed at 70% with 50w iron set. That makes tubes last a long time and you get to throw nuclear tantrums at volumes you can scream over. lol

You want a hotrod so most of the goal depends on bandwidth in the output section to support the outrage in the preamp. You can copy any Marshall type amp on a perf board. You can generally stay with the power rail layout only changing a couple resistors for expected outcome.

Pick a sound and buy some parts. It's fun.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.