Neg. Feedback Question

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

matt1969

Neg. Feedback Question

Post by matt1969 »

What kind of a change in sound would I expect if I change my neg. feedback from 47K / speaker jack to 100K / 4ohm tap?
martin manning

Re: Neg. Feedback Question

Post by martin manning »

matt1969 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:11 pm What kind of a change in sound would I expect if I change my neg. feedback from 47K / speaker jack to 100K / 4ohm tap?
Similar to turning a Presence control down. IDK what tap you are on now, but going down, 8 ohm to 4 ohm, say, reduces feedback voltage 30%, so you will get increased power amp gain, reduced bandwidth, and reduced presence control effect.
matt1969

Post by matt1969 »

cool thanks. i'm connected to the speaker jack & I use the 8 ohm setting with my cab.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Here’s a simple graph that shows how that as feedback voltage increases (in closed loop) bandwidth/frequency response increases and gain goes down.

Also note case with any amp one it drops out of running in closed loop, distortion will take place much faster.
Guitarist who use their playing dynamics a lot tend to like amps better that have no feedback/ closed loop circuit.

If you play any amp loud enough that has feedback and learn to listen for this change over point then you will never not hear it again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!