New Marshall amp out... Studio JTM

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

New Marshall amp out... Studio JTM

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Since Marshall was recently bought apparently they decided to do something new.

Supposedly based off the JTM45 but with 5881 tubes to keep it 20 W output...

purportedly hand built in the UK.

Thoughts?

is it an abomination? :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: New Marshall amp out... Studio JTM

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Guess I could share a link

https://marshall.com/amps/products/amps ... studio-jtm

Edit: sorry somehow saved before actually adding the link.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Thanks!
I don’t think 5881 are what limits it to 20W. Rather, as per the other models in the 20W range, it’ll probably be a lowish HT voltage, and cathode bias.
Also the OT is about 6k.
And the actual clean power output is about 16-17W.
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/h ... ll.131978/
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Looks nice and sounds nice. Clean headroom a little on the low side but still has nice cleans.
The reassessed preamp tubes lead me to believe there is a circuit board in there.
That would explain the lower price point compared to hand wired models.
They will probably sell a ton of them at this price point.

Cheers
Guy
cdemike

Post by cdemike »

Demos sound nice! I know it's not built with an eye toward longevity, but I really like my Studio Vintage, so it makes sense that I'd think this looks nice too. I'm pleasantly surprised when I hear these "little" Marshalls running such low B+ levels and still sounding like their bigger brothers. I agree with Guy77 -- bet they'll set a lot of these. In general, it seems like JTMs are getting a lot of love recently, so this seemed well-timed in that respect. I'm seeing retail prices of around $1800, which seems kind of high to me, but that may be just me. I'd be curious what kind of reception it gets among the broader guitar community (i.e. among guitarists who aren't necessarily interested in the technical details, those who don't have interest in building amps, or those who can't for one reason or another).
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

cdemike wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:50 am Demos sound nice! I know it's not built with an eye toward longevity, but I really like my Studio Vintage, so it makes sense that I'd think this looks nice too. I'm pleasantly surprised when I hear these "little" Marshalls running such low B+ levels and still sounding like their bigger brothers. I agree with Guy77 -- bet they'll set a lot of these. In general, it seems like JTMs are getting a lot of love recently, so this seemed well-timed in that respect. I'm seeing retail prices of around $1800, which seems kind of high to me, but that may be just me. I'd be curious what kind of reception it gets among the broader guitar community (i.e. among guitarists who aren't necessarily interested in the technical details, those who don't have interest in building amps, or those who can't for one reason or another).
1800$ pcb amp made by Marshall in 2023; pass.

Corporate taking fair advantage of lazy and/or naive guitarists still enamored with the iconography of the brand and/or too overwhelmed to research and shop around.

Audio clips and positive reviews from YouTube influencers mean nothing once you understand what they put under the hood .

Same goes with Fender of course . This is the state of the union concerning mainstream manufacturers. To be fair there are exceptions from them that actually deliver decent products .
Charlie
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

This is the state of the union with anything tube, really. It's just getting more and more expensive to build tube based gear at scale. Enjoy the ride while you can, I say...
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:29 pm This is the state of the union with anything tube, really. It's just getting more and more expensive to build tube based gear at scale. Enjoy the ride while you can, I say...
If Fender built them how Fender built them in the beginning we would be paying a pretty penny . There wouldn’t be anything with these corner cutting price tags
Charlie