Marshall Black Panel JTM45 vintage reproduction Monkeymatic project

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Re: Marshall Black Panel JTM45 vintage reproduction Monkeymatic project

Post by xtian »

rooster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:28 amI've never seen any white paper science regarding this, only hear of ppl who swear it's The Way.
Do you LIKE hum in your build? I don't. Try it and trust your ears. Want to be shocked and amazed? Instead of headphones, use a guitar speaker connected to the OT secondary. Any hum you hear thru the speaker you'll hear when the amp is finished.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
bepone

Post by bepone »

rooster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:28 am
Oh, I also see that the Plexi faceplates are discussed on the Marshall forum. I would love to get me a JTM Black Flag for some reason (?), but I also learned on the Marshall forum that all of the Plexi plates are being sold for $95. Hm. :(
plexi back engraved faceplates in original green-gold color are the best from Modulus amps, for Marshall projects im taking from there.. Also is possible to order custom, all the others have some strange colours, not so close
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

xtian wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:22 pm
rooster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:28 amI've never seen any white paper science regarding this, only hear of ppl who swear it's The Way.
Do you LIKE hum in your build? I don't. Try it and trust your ears. Want to be shocked and amazed? Instead of headphones, use a guitar speaker connected to the OT secondary. Any hum you hear thru the speaker you'll hear when the amp is finished.
Just because the factory did it doesn’t make it ideal…but if you need that vintage noise floor and subsequent intermodulation , then there’s no better substitute …

I have mentioned before how I am in the process of building an Ampeg SVT inspired amplifier for a client, and if you work on the old ones you will hear A LOT OF HUM if they aren’t biased and balanced on the money …

No wonder why ; the OT and PT are aligned .

Granted the stock dual bias setup makes this less of a problem and you can dial it out very well , and AFAIK and have come to understand , can caps and tubes in between help mitigate this hum theoretically to a degree, but I wonder why not go a step further?

With a simple headphone test and a new set of transformers I can null the hum entirely with a 90 degree rotation, even with the filament transformer installed.

If you aren’t cloning for exactness , then why not improve upon the design ? Seems like you are though…
Charlie
xtian

Post by xtian »

WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:39 pmGranted the stock dual bias setup makes this less of a problem and you can dial it out very well , and AFAIK and have come to understand , can caps and tubes in between help mitigate this hum theoretically to a degree, but I wonder why not go a step further?
Point being, even with NO TUBES INSTALLED, you'll hear the hum induced into the OT from the PT if they're sympathetically oriented as soon as the PT is energized.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

I just tested a new set of transformers I received but didn't have any headphones so used my o'scope instead. Very easy to do if one is available.

Very enlightening!

Found it impossible to remove ALL 60hz but did get it down to a few mV. Peak was a few volts on the 16 ohm taps.

I'm sure a multimeter would work too.
Glenn
rooster

Post by rooster »

bepone, thanks for the direction to Modulus Amp. You are right, they have a lot of nice things there. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
bepone

Post by bepone »

rooster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:43 pm bepone, thanks for the direction to Modulus Amp. You are right, they have a lot of nice things there. 8)
no problem, 15 yrs i'm taking faceplates from there and custom is possible.. plexi color is just perfect.. all the others have cheap gold/something/ nothing versions