subective "Ice Pick" frequency

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Re: subective "Ice Pick" frequency

Post by WhopperPlate »

JD0x0 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:21 am
pjd3 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:56 pm Just curious,

What do you suspect it is about DIY Marshall Super Lead 100 clone's that are making them Ice-picky?

Best,

Phil D.
I think those older Polyester caps like the 'Mustards' and Mallorys have more dielectric losses than modern caps resulting in a smoother sound. During my early years of modding/experimenting, I swapped out all the polyester caps from my 80's PCB Hiwatt and exchanged them for 6PS and 715P caps, and the highs went from a silky 'violin-like' quality to a much harder, more focused high end, which could easily be perceived as more 'ice pick-y.'
I think modern metal film resistors also contribute. Old carbon film resistors will tend to drift up, and that can result in a 'smoother' sound.
Older piher and iskra resistors also have different levels of induction. RLC circuits get superimposed over the entire amp. Combine this with the above factors and oh no !
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Insert one 715 orange drop late in the signal path without careful and intentional placement; instant ice pick . 716p aren’t as grainy , but they still break glass
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I responded similarly to the conjunctive thread in tech, ICE is at the frequencies of fingerprints on course wound strings. It is something to consider.

I have to deal with it somewhere on my high gain amps. I do it late preamp with one or a pair of low pass filters. Tiny caps and a little R.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:27 am I responded similarly to the conjunctive thread in tech, ICE is at the frequencies of fingerprints on course wound strings. It is something to consider.
Very good observation
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

... or fingernails on a blackboard. There are virtually none of those left. Blackboards, I mean. But if you are old enough to have had the experience, I'll bet you are cringing. That has been measured at 2-4 kHz.

edit: Here's a reference: https://www.wired.com/2011/11/chalk-boa ... ail-sound/
"That physical response is likely generated by the shape of the human ear canal, which prior research has shown to amplify frequencies in the range of 2,000 to 4,000 Hz. What seems to happen, the researchers reckon, is that when a screech on a chalkboard is generated, the sound is amplified within our ears to painful effect."
Last edited by martin manning on Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

My mind rings at the resonant frequency of my second grade teacher's little scrapey thing she used like a blackboard bow.

EEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEE
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

piezo pickups without an eq
Charlie
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

Speakers with enough doping can tame icepick.

And way back when, when I did some EL34 tube rolling on my 1959 (half clone? It’s actually a reissue SLP that I made into a 1967 ish circuit PTP with an OBSOLETE electronics OT), I found the old original Svetlana’s had an icepicky ness to them that others did not, which were mullards, the original Teslas that came in the amp, and the GT “mullards”. I liked the tone of the svetlanas, other than the icepick.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

BrownIsound wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:35 pm Speakers with enough doping can tame icepick.

And way back when, when I did some EL34 tube rolling on my 1959 (half clone? It’s actually a reissue SLP that I made into a 1967 ish circuit PTP with an OBSOLETE electronics OT), I found the old original Svetlana’s had an icepicky ness to them that others did not, which were mullards, the original Teslas that came in the amp, and the GT “mullards”. I liked the tone of the svetlanas, other than the icepick.
Generally older tubes have more accurate sonic reproduction , so more icepick . Newer tubes tend to compress those frequency peaks .
Charlie