2204 build, but changing to 6V6

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

2204 build, but changing to 6V6

Post by pjd3 »

Hello,

Just a little concern here that would be great to hear any comments about.

I've decided to change the output section on a 2204 build from EL34's to 6V6's for a few reasons, mainly that it makes much more sense considering the transformers that came with the chassis/amp being used, and maybe the lack of need for a 50 watter.

Do you think there is any reason to reconsider the 100uF B+ capacitance in the 2204 circuit in modifying to 6V6's? Or does that first filter cap just remain a preference thing? I did modify the standby switch to be a "trickle" switch to address the large initial filter cap value. (inrush)

I'm not seeing any reasons to reconsider the value right off but, just in case there is something I could be missing (which is always possible).

Thanks!
Best,
PJD3
I’m only one person (most of the time)
pjd3

Re: 2204 build, but changing to 6V6

Post by pjd3 »

Not sure if this matters for this concern but,

The PT HT is about 310-0-310. I expect to be seeing around 420 or so on the plates of the 6V6, possibly less. (this is bases on Mark Huss's 2204 schematic, SS rectification).

Best

Phil
I’m only one person (most of the time)
Reeltarded

Re: 2204 build, but changing to 6V6

Post by Reeltarded »

It is fine @ 100u. 50u is not much different and the mains should be stiff, I think.

The more slack you take up at the mains the more room you have to get loose down stream at least. I have one amp that is 8u/10u other end with a 16u PI setup that is one of my great ones. 50u mains so I can swap in tube rectifier. Greasy and squatty and rockin.

You are at the top range of the voltage so cold bias is your friend. 380 would be better. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.